Surprise your taste buds with this inventive veggie combo!
Sometimes, the most unexpected of combinations yields the most delicious of results. Hosting a spring gathering at your home? Gearing up for BBQ season? Bringing a dish to a friend’s fete? Surprise your friends and family with this Cherry, Asparagus, and Corn salad. Veggie salads are a favorite of ours here at Skinny Ms., because they allow us to combine a variety of vegetables with different textures and flavors to make a sophisticated and gourmet blend.
Corn provides a mild sweetness that intensifies when it’s grilled. Because it is both earthy and mellow, and slightly sweet, it provides the perfect base for this salad. Add cherries for a real treat, and a big surprise! The sweet tang of cherries is a fabulous addition to any salad. The asparagus grounds this salad in mild veggie flavors and crunchy texture. Each ingredient bounces off the others and provides you with an inventive salad that will delight and impress your guests.
This salad really delivers on the nutrition front as well! Each ingredient is packed with dietary fiber, making this salad’s fiber content skyrocket. Cherries are antioxidant-rich, aid in the loss of belly fat, are anti-inflammatories, and even boost melatonin, which helps you to sleep better at night. Corn has antioxidants and stabilizes blood sugar, while asparagus provides folate and vitamin K. Serve it up to loved ones for a delicious, healthy side.
Cherry, Asparagus and Corn Salad
- 2 pounds asparagus hard ends taken away
- 2 ears of corn
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus extra for coating the griddle
- 1/2 cup cherries pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- Coat the griddle (or thick-bottomed saucepan) with very little extra virgin olive oil then wipe off the excess with a kitchen paper towel.
- Over medium to high heat, grill the asparagus and the corn until they are cooked through and turn golden brown.
- Chop the asparagus coarsely then transfer them to a salad bowl.
- Hold the corn vertically then slice off the kernels in all sides with a knife. Transfer them to the salad bowl.
- Add the cherries in the salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the balsamic vinegar, 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Adjust amounts if needed.
- Pour the dressing in the salad then mix well.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms