We smell a new family favorite!
There’s nothing like good BBQ chicken that’s fall-off-the-bone tender and full of smoky flavor. This recipe is no exception. One of the things I always want people to take away from my recipes is that they are just a guideline. Once you have the basic concepts down, let your creativity be your guide. With this cherry chipotle BBQ chicken, as with many of my recipes, you can change things up to make the dish your own!
First, Control the Sweet Flavors
I know what you’re thinking. I’m using cherry preserves AND cherry pie filling? Trust me. If you’re concerned about the sugar content, you can limit it by using light or no-sugar-added cherry pie filling. Next, limit added sugar by choosing no-sugar-added or sugar-free cherry preserves. Better yet, you can purchase frozen sweet or tart cherries and eliminate the pie filling altogether!
Finally, select a no-sugar-added BBQ sauce. These choices will help you create the perfect amount of sweetness for your Cherry Chipotle BBQ Chicken!
Second, Reign in or Bring on the Heat
The primary source of heat for this Cherry Chipotle BBQ Chicken comes from smoky chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. They are ideal to use for controlling the heat for several reasons. For starters, the peppers themselves contain ample spice. Meanwhile, the smoky adobo sauce packs even more of a punch. So, in order to control the heat level, you should first decide how much heat you want, a little or a lot?
The first thing you can do to reign in the fire is to rinse the peppers off with cool water and omit the adobo sauce entirely. Not only will you get a hint of heat, but you also won’t sweat too much. After that, if you’re adventurous and want to take the spice a little further, scoop in extra adobo sauce and a few extra peppers. Finally, if you really want to heat things up, use a spicy BBQ sauce. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!
The Perfect Complementary Side Dish Options
Shredded chicken recipes are some of my favorite recipes. They taste so amazing, but they’re also incredibly versatile. Use the shredded chicken to create a great main course by serving it in a bun, with a side of veggies and rice, or over potatoes. You can also use it inside of tacos, wraps, sandwiches, quesadillas, or even on top of salads! The choice is all yours, so don’t be afraid to use your imagination!
We do have a few side dish recommendations if that’s the route you decide to take. Consider any of these delicious and nutritious options:
- Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Sweet and Tangy Coleslaw
- Grilled Corn on the Cob with Basil and Olive Oil
Instant Pot Cherry Chipotle BBQ Chicken
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup sugar-free cherry preserves
- 1/2 cup light cherry pie filling
- 2 cups BBQ Sauce no sugar added
- 1 tablespoon chipotles with adobo sauce minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves ground
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
For the Chicken:
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper ground
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
Make the Sauce:
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Set aside.
Cook the Chicken:
- Place all ingredients in an Instant Pot. Pour sauce over the top.
- Set cooker to Manual, high pressure. Seal and make sure the pressure vent is sealed.
- Cook for 20 minutes, then allow pressure to naturally release for 15 minutes. Release remaining pressure with the quick release method.
- Shred chicken with a fork and serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Want more recipes like this sent directly to your inbox? First, subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Then, follow us on Instagram and Pinterest to not only get fantastic healthy recipes, but also to receive exercise tips, meal plans, and much more!