Ahhh, creamy pasta dishes. Not something you’d think would be included in a healthy eating plan.
You’ll never guess that this dish clocks in at only 8 grams of fat per serving. This simple casserole will please the whole family, and you may even get your kids eating spinach and liking it!
I would even keep this dish handy for entertaining. Paired with a nice salad and warm vegetable side, it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser!
Yields: 6 Servings | Serving Size: 1 1/2 Cups | Calories: 315 | Total Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Carbohydrates: 33 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sodium: 396 mg | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sugars: 0 g | Protein: 26 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8 |
- 4 (3 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pre-cooked, cut into cubes (rotisserie chicken works too)
- 1/2 box frozen spinach, thawed & squeezed to remove access liquid
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon fresly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, fat-free
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese, blended to make smooth consistency
- 2/3 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated (use small holes on grater)
- 1/2 pound whole grain pasta (such as farfalla, penne, or spirals)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mist a 9 x 11 baking dish with oil. Cook pasta according to package directions. In a large pot, heat olive oil to medium-low and saute garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add flour and whisk for 30 seconds. Add chicken broth and stir until thickened. Add lemon juice, nutmeg, oregano & pepper. Bring to simmer.
- Remove from heat and add blended cottage cheese, spinach, chicken, Parmesan cheese & pasta. Stir to combine. Place in casserole dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden & bubbly.