A new spin on a classic dish!
When it comes to comfort food, chicken noodle soup is a classic dishful of love. If you’re feeling blue, there’s a warm embrace in every spoonful. And we at Skinny Ms. decided to take that homey feeling one step further by transforming one of our favorite comfort foods into something even yummier.
Chicken Noodle Bake is an offshoot of chicken noodle soup. The ingredients are essentially the same – without the soup. We used whole wheat spaghetti that we broke into small pieces to imitate noodles. We grilled the chicken on a griddle before chopping it into small pieces. Carrots and celery add some healthy flavor, and there’s even some chicken broth to make the baked dish nice and moist. You’ll love how creamy we made it by adding some homemade bechamel sauce and Parmesan cheese. Enjoy this creamy Chicken Noodle Bake anytime, anywhere, with your family.
Chicken Noodle Bake
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt divided
- 2 carrots large, peeled and finely diced
- 7 ounces spaghetti broken into small pieces
- 1 cup bechamel sauce (see recipe below)
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth fat-free
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons pure butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk non-fat
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- On a hot griddle or skillet, cook the chicken over medium heat until cooked through. Chop chicken into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, bring a pot of water to a boil. When it boils, sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon salt and add the spaghetti and carrots. Drain completely when spaghetti is al dente. Transfer the chicken pieces, spaghetti, and carrots to a large casserole pan. Stir in the bechamel sauce (below), remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, celery, chicken broth, parmesan cheese, and black pepper.
- If desired, sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese.
- BECHAMEL SAUCE: In a medium heavy saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the flour. Whisk continuously until the roux is thickened. Add the milk gradually, whisking continuously. Sprinkle the in the nutmeg and salt. When the bechamel sauce becomes thick, remove it from the heat. NOTE: If the sauce cools and you wish to thin it out, just add a little more milk.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until heated through.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
More Amazing Chicken Recipes:
It is always a pleasure to hear from our readers. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.