Simmer earthy beans and tender chicken for a delicious winter stew.
This time of year, we look for warm and hearty dishes that cook slowly as they exude homey scents of family cooking. This slow simmer is what makes the family converge in the heart of the house and enjoy home-cooked meals together. With our busy lives, the slow cooker comes to the rescue again. Just let it cook while you do other chores. This hearty chicken and bean stew is full of protein and nutrients, exactly the kind of healthy meal we like to serve at our family table.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Bean Stew
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 onion medium, coarsely chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs remove skin before serving
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup roasted peppers bottled or canned
- 15 ounces kidney beans can, drained and rinsed or black beans
- 1/4 cup olives pitted and sliced
- 2 potatoes large, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots medium, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato puree
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan with extra virgin olive oil, sautè the garlic and the onion for about 2 minutes then transfer them to the slow cooker.
- In the same saucepan, add more oil then brown both sides of the chicken. When they are golden brown, transfer them to the slow cooker, discarding the oil.
- In the slow cooker, add the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high 4 hours.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
More Warm Slow Cooker Recipes to Enjoy:
It is always a pleasure to hear from our readers. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.