This chocolate mint tea ice cream is filled with superfoods that will make you feel good! It is vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free. If you are searching for a healthy ice cream recipe, this is it!
This guest blog post and recipe was written by Shelley Alexander, holistic chef, certified healing foods specialist, blogger, and owner of A Harmony Healing a holistic food, nutrition, and wellness company in Los Angeles, California. To find out about Shelley and try more of her delicious healing food recipes go to A Harmony Healing.
I adore ice cream and I’m always coming up with new ways to make it with my favorite healing foods. When I was young mint chocolate chip ice cream was one of my favorites and I always asked for it when my family went to Baskin Robbins for a special treat. I really liked how the cool mint flavor complimented the bites of sweet chocolate and the bright green color was a plus.
My version of mint chocolate chip ice cream blends fresh mint leaves, raw cacao, Zhena’s mojito mint green tea, coconut milk, vanilla, and avocado into one delicious refreshing ice cream.
The avocado and coconut milk create a lush creamy texture that melts on your tongue and tastes divine. All of the ingredients in this ice cream are superfoods that taste great and have fantastic health benefits.
SkinnyMs. likes the Cuisinart Pure Indulgence™ 2Qt Frozen Yogurt/Ice Cream Maker for churning and freezing. Once the ice cream finished churning, I stirred in some chopped up dark mint chocolate from Theo to take this ice cream over the top but feel free to make the ice cream without it because it’s good either way.
Yields: 2 pints | Serving Size: 1/2 cup | Calories: 284 | Total Fat: 21.8 g | Saturated Fat:17.4 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 71 mg | Carbohydrates: 23.7 g | Dietary Fiber: 3.5 g | Sugars: 14.9 g | Protein: 2.6 g | SmartPoints: 15 |
- Makes 2—2½ pints
- 4 cups organic canned coconut milk
- 2—Zhena’s Mojito Mint tea sachets
- 1 cup organic coconut palm sugar (I used Wholesome Sweeteners brand)
- Seeds from 1 vanilla bean or 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 small avocado
- 8 large fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon ELF raw cacao powder
- Optional: 1 —3 ounce Theo organic fair trade mint dark chocolate bar chopped into small pieces
- Place the coconut milk in a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat until hot and simmering. Add tea sachets, turn heat to low and steep tea for 3 minutes.
- Remove tea sachets and stir in coconut sugar, vanilla bean seeds or extract, and sea salt. Pour tea milk into a heat proof container and chill for several hours or overnight.
- Once done chilling take tea milk from refrigerator, place in a blender and add avocado meat, mint leaves, and raw cacao powder blending until smooth.
- Place ice cream in chilled ice cream container and freeze according to ice cream manufacturer’s directions. Once ice cream is done stir in chocolate pieces if using and enjoy immediately.
- This ice cream will last for 2-3 weeks stored in an airtight container in the freezer. Once you freeze the ice cream in your freezer, you need to let it sit out for around 20 minutes to get soft before serving.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.