Healthy fried food is an oxymoron no longer with a little help from SkinnyMs.! Perfect at any time of day and packed with energy, these quick and easy Clean Eating Vegetable Fritters will fill you up and keep you going.
Our fritters are a cinch to fry. All you have to do is prep your veggies, mix the batter, oil your pan, and cook away! We’ve included zucchini, bell peppers, and scallion to provide healthy veggie flavoring. To draw out their natural goodness, we’ve spiced up the recipe with earthy thyme and zesty paprika. Read on for the details and get frying!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 2 fritters | Calories: 200 | Total Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 93mg | Sodium: 202mg | Carbohydrates: 26g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 6g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 2 cups grated zucchini, water squeezed out *see instructions
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup sliced scallions, greens and whites, roots discarded
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, optional 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 cup flour, (white whole-wheat was used in this recipe)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Shred zucchini and place in a colander or fine mesh sieve set over a bowl. Sprinkle a small amount of salt over the zucchini and let sit for about 10 minutes. Then press on the zucchini to squeeze out any remaining water into the bowl.
- Whisk eggs in the bottom of a large bowl. Add the zucchini, bell pepper, scallions, flour, salt, pepper, thyme, and paprika to the bowl, stirring to combine completely. Add one tablespoon of the olive oil to a sauté pan over medium heat, and add in a mound of the mixture, pushing with the spatula to flatten into a round. Repeat with 2 more. 3 should fit in the pan.
- Cook each fritter for 2 to 3 minutes on one side, and then flip and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes on the other side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve sprinkled with thyme leaves for garnish, and topped with a dollop of light sour cream or Greek yogurt, if desired.
Have a comment about this article or anything else you’d like to see on SkinnyMs.? Let us know! We’d love to hear from you.