This nutritious meal takes creamy and delicious to a healthy new level.
This nutritious version of a traditional French dish takes creamy and delicious to a healthy new level. If you’re unfamiliar with the term, ragout is a hearty stew of meat, vegetables, and spices. This chicken ragout is loaded with warm, comforting flavors that the whole family will enjoy.
The Perfect Combination of Ingredients
Our creamy chicken ragout with mushrooms features heavenly baby bella mushrooms cooked in a mixture of olive oil, shallots, and onions. Tender chicken strips are sautéed to golden perfection and add satisfying protein to the meal. The recipe requires a bit of coconut milk towards the end of the cooking process. This helps to infuse your ingredients with the tropical fruit’s subtle sweetness and rich creaminess.
Serving Suggestions for this Chicken Ragout
This magically mouthwatering recipe will shine at any meal. Ragout pairs wonderfully with brown rice, quinoa, or polenta. Enjoy this tasty treat with friends and family and share a delicious memory. Serve with fresh greens or a side salad for a complete meal. Serve this scrumptious dish with a glass of red wine and don’t forget to save room for dessert! Leftovers can be frozen and enjoyed later. Here are some specific suggestions for side dishes to serve with this creamy chicken ragout:
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Ragout
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breasts cut into strips, then halved (about two filets)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 6 whole thyme sprigs fresh
- 1/4 cup white onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or 1/2 cup vegetable broth with 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons pure butter softened
- 14 ounce can of coconut milk (full fat)
- small pinch nutmeg if grating from fresh nutmeg kernel, only grate two times
- Sprinkle the chicken strips with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Once the oil is warm but not smoking, add the chicken pieces. Cook for about 8 minutes, flipping to get a golden color on all sides, and cook through. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Add the remaining teaspoon of oil, the mushrooms, thyme, and onions to the pan. Allow to cook for 5 to 8 minutes until onions have softened and liquid has been released and evaporated from the mushrooms. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Push the mushrooms and onions to the side of the pan. Add wine or broth into the empty space. Scrape any bits on the bottom of the pan with a spoon. Allow at least half the liquid to evaporate. Stir mushrooms and onions back in.
- Combine flour and softened butter.
- Add coconut milk, flour/butter mix, and nutmeg, and stir in the pan until flour/butter mix is incorporated. Return the chicken to the pan. Add remaining salt and pepper. Allow to cook for about 3 to 5 additional minutes until heated through and thickened to the desired consistency. Remove thyme branches prior to serving (many of the leaves should have fallen into the ragout).
- Chicken ragout pairs well with brown rice, spaghetti squash, soba noodles, polenta, or quinoa.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
This comforting and satisfying chicken ragout with mushrooms is the perfect healthy fall meal. It’s full of lean protein, vitamins, and minerals, and it’s creamy and decadent without any unnecessary calories. It’s super easy to prepare, and leftovers will reheat like a dream! If you’re in search of a creamy comfort meal without a ton of heavy dairy and empty calories, you may have just found your new favorite meal! Try it tonight, and let us know what you think! Enjoy!
Have you made this chicken ragout with mushrooms recipe? We need your feedback! Let us know what you think about this article or anything else on the site in the comments!