This nutritious takes creamy and delicious to a healthy new level.
This nutritious version of the traditional French dish takes creamy and delicious to a healthy new level. If you’re unfamiliar with the term, ragout is a stew of meat, vegetables, and spices.
Our Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Ragout features heavenly baby bella mushrooms cooked in a mixture of olive oil, shallots, and onions. Tender chicken strips are sautéed to golden perfection and add satisfying protein to the meal. The dish calls for a splash of coconut milk to complete the cooking process, allowing all your ingredients to soak up the tropical fruit’s rich, subtle sweetness.
This magically mouthwatering recipe will shine at any meal. Ragout pairs wonderfully with brown rice, quinoa, or polenta.
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Ragout
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breasts cut into strips, then halved (about two filets)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 6 whole thyme sprigs fresh
- 1/4 cup white onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or 1/2 cup vegetable broth with 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons pure butter softened
- 14 ounces coconut milk can, not lite
- small pinch nutmeg if grating from fresh nutmeg kernel, only grate two times
- Sprinkle chicken strips with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Once the oil is warm but not smoking, add chicken pieces. Cook for about 8 minutes, flipping to get a golden color on all sides and cook through. Remove chicken from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Add remaining teaspoon of oil, the mushrooms, thyme, and onions. Allow to cook for 5 to 8 minutes until onions have softened and liquid has been released and evaporated from the mushrooms. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Push mushrooms and onions to the side of the pan. Add wine or broth into empty space. Scrape any bits in the bottom with a spoon. Allow at least half the liquid to evaporate. Stir mushrooms and onions back in.
- Combine flour and softened butter.
- Add coconut milk, flour/butter mix, and nutmeg, stir in pan until flour/butter mix is incorporated. Return chicken to the pan. Add remaining salt and pepper. Allow to cook for about 3 to 5 additional minutes, until heated through and thickened to the desired consistency. Remove thyme branches prior to serving (many of the leaves should have fallen into the ragout).
- Ragout pairs well with brown rice, spaghetti squash, soba noodles, polenta, or quinoa.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site.