Thinly sliced fennel, tossed in a creamy lemon dressing, work to make this crisp and luscious salad a new favorite recipe made with fresh and tasty ingredients. For an added treat, try topping this salad with fish, like wild-caught salmon, to create a satisfying salad meal. This salad can also be a nice accompaniment to pork loin or chicken. We recommend our fan-favorite, Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken. The thinly shaved, or cut fennel, in our Creamy Lemon Dressing with Orange Wedges and Fresh Mint, is so good, your friends and family will think it came from a healthy salad menu at a restaurant.
Also, try some of these other Salad Recipes from SkinnyMs..
Servings: 4 | Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups | Calories: 171| Total Fat: 13.2 g | Saturated Fats: 1.8 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 719 mg | Carbohydrates: 14.8 g | Dietary Fiber: 6.1 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 2.7 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 3 medium-sized fennel bulbs
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt, fine grained kosher preferred
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, loosely packed
- 1/4 cup chopped fennel fronds, see the video below
- 1 orange, peeled and separated into wedges (sweet Valencia is a good choice, if available)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Be sure to watch the video below for "How to Prepare Fennel".
- Clean the fennel by washing the outside of the bulb. Cut off the fronds and save. Shave the fennel with a mandolin or with a knife by cutting closely across the surface. The fennel should be sliced thin. Toss in a bowl with the mint, ¼ cup of the chopped fennel fronds and orange wedges.
- Dressing Instructions:
- In a small bowl put the Dijon mustard and squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking as you go. Add salt to taste, and continue to whisk until fully combined and creamy.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper to taste.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite salad recipe from SkinnyMs.? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.