We love Italian cuisine at SkinnyMs., but we’re not always in the mood for heavy pastas and sauces. When we’re looking to serve something a little lighter for dinner, but we don’t want to sacrifice the zesty Italian flavor we’ve come to love, this Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken does the trick! This slow cooker recipe is easy to make, healthy, and tastes delicious. Chicken recipes do not have to be boring. Slow cooker foods are a great way to pack a lot of flavor into lean chicken breast. The end result of this balsamic chicken recipe is a moist, flavorful dish your entire family will love!
Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken Recipe
Originally uploaded to our Facebook Fan page by Dishing with Leslie, and tweaked a little by us at SkinnyMs., Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken has quickly become a fan favorite. We love how the balsamic vinegar used in this recipe works a tenderizer, allowing the chicken to soak up every delicious ounce of flavor from the tomatoes, onions, and seasonings. Serve this over a bed of spaghetti, brown rice, quinoa, or accompany it with a fresh salad, and your family is sure to wild!
Leftovers? This balsamic chicken is a great addition to salads or can be wrapped in a tortilla for a quick, healthy lunch.
Yields: 10 Cups | Serving size: 1 Cup | Calories: 238 | Fat: 12 g | Saturated fat: 3 g | Trans fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 73 mg | Sodium: 170 mg | Carbohydrate: 7 g | Fiber: 2 g | Sugar: 4 g | Protein 25 g | Smart Points (Freestyle): 1 |
- 4-6 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (about 40 ounces)
- 2 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced (Not chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (for gluten-free use White Balsamic Vinegar which doesn't have caramel coloring)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- ground black pepper and salt to taste
- Pour the olive oil on bottom of slow cooker, add chicken breasts, salt and pepper each breast, put sliced onion on top of chicken then put in all the dried herbs and garlic cloves. Pour in vinegar and top with tomatoes.
- Cook on high 4 hours, serve over angel hair pasta.
And if you end up with leftovers, here is a recipe for a Balsamic Chicken Wrap.
No nutrition data for this recipe.
- 1 tomato and herb wrap
- 1 Tbsp prepared pesto, no sugar added
- 1 handful of baby spinach leaves
- Leftover pieces of Balsamic Chicken
- Place wrap on plate, spread with prepared pesto, add spinach leaves and top with chicken.
- Wrap, slice in half and enjoy.
More about Guest Contributor, Dishing with Leslie:
A while back, Leslie from Dishing With Leslie posted her recipe for Balsamic Chicken on our Facebook Fan page. It very quickly became one of the most requested recipes on our page! So of course, we just had to give it a try and we absolutely fell in love with this dish!
The only thing we changed was using 1 tablespoon olive oil instead of 2. Everything still turned out wonderful, we cut back on fat, and we didn’t have to go to the store for more oil!
We have invited Leslie to share the recipe here on our site, and she has been kind enough to also share a recipe that you can use when you have leftovers (…..IF…. you have leftovers…).
We hope you’ll enjoy both recipes, and we’ll let Leslie take it from here…
“I have been cooking for twenty years which has led to many experimental recipes. Although I am not a professional chef I do understand food and the delightful balance in blending flavors. Over time I have come to realize I am a fan of the classics, and a true comfort food lover. I discovered my Balsamic Chicken whilst trying to prepare a meal that was lite yet filling and had that classic Italian flavor. This delicious and versatile recipe has been made and appreciated by many, and it has been a joy to watch this recipe become a favorite for others as well. This recipe is also delicious when served over garlic mashed potatoes, roasted cauliflower, or a bed of sautéed squash.”
Last updated June 08, 2018