Love the flavors of the Mediterranean? These vegetable cakes are brimming with healthy ingredients that are flavorful and filling. Made with whole wheat flour and sautéed in olive oil, this crispy vegetable cake dish makes a hearty and healthy meal.
Yields: 4 servings as a side| Serving Size: 1 cake |Calories: 196| Total Fat: 11 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 82 mg | Sodium: 171 mg | Carbohydrates: 20 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 6 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 medium potato, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup chopped artichoke hearts
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat half the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the garlic, and cook for one additional minute. Add the spinach and stir until wilted. Turn off heat and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the potato, oregano, tomatoes, olives, artichokes, and peppers to the medium mixing bowl and stir. Add the eggs and flour, and season with salt and pepper.
- Form the mixture into patties. Or, if making as an entrée, form into two large cakes.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a skillet and cook the cakes until crispy and browned on both sides. Slice cakes into individual servings and serve hot.
- If desired, top with an olive tapenade or chopped fresh herbs.
Looking for healthy entrees? Need more vegetarian dishes in your repertoire?Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from SkinnyMs. Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Check out our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.