A good slow cooker recipe means less time in the kitchen and more time to enjoy the finer things in life. Healthy slow cooker foods let you throw some ingredients together, go about your business, and come back to find a warm, nutritious meal waiting for you. This recipe is no exception, and it adds a fun healthy spin on an old favorite. Great for dinner, and the leftovers make easy lunches, Crock Pot Sloppy Joes made with healthy lentils are satisfying, nutritious, and delicious. Plus, they’re vegan-friendly, too!
**This recipe comes to us from Tammie over at Simple. Healthy. Tasty. Tammie uses her Slow Cooker often for making healthy meals for her family with very little effort. For more simple and healthy recipes, join Tammie at her site, and be sure to check her out on Facebook for all her latest recipes.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 sandwich | Calories: 349 | Total Fat: 2 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 573 mg | Carbohydrates: 67 g | Dietary Fiber: 24 g | Sugars: 21 g | Protein: 20 g | SmartPoints: 11
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups green/brown lentils
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper and/or 2 jalapenos, chopped
- Place the ingredients above all in a crock pot and cook on high for about 3 hours or until Lentils are done.
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 4 tablespoons sucanat
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons homemade vegetable broth powder
- 1 can (14.5- 15 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Cook for at least one more hour, may uncover crock pot while cooking the last hour to help thicken more. Spoon onto whole grain buns or bread.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes, check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter, like our Facebook page, and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.