Replace fattening sloppy joes with this healthy lentil alternative!
A good slow cooker recipe means less time in the kitchen and more time to enjoy the finer things in life. Healthy slow cooker foods let you throw some ingredients together, go about your business, and come back to find a warm, nutritious meal waiting for you. This recipe is no exception, and it adds a fun healthy spin on an old favorite. Great for dinner, and the leftovers make easy lunches, Crock Pot Sloppy Joes made with healthy lentils are satisfying, nutritious, and delicious. Plus, they’re vegan-friendly, too!
**This recipe comes to us from Tammie over at Simple. Healthy. Tasty. Tammie uses her Slow Cooker often for making healthy meals for her family with very little effort.
Crock Pot Sloppy Joes made with Lentils
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups green lentils or brown
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green bell pepper and or 2 jalapenos chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 4 tablespoons sucanat
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons homemade vegetable broth powder
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes can
- 6 ounces tomato paste can
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Place the first 5 ingredients in a crockpot and cook on high for about 3 hours or until lentils are done.
- Cook for at least one more hour, may uncover crockpot while cooking the last hour to help thicken more. Spoon onto whole-grain buns or bread.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more delicious and nutritious recipes, check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Be sure to subscribe to our daily enewsletter, like our Facebook page, and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.