You can’t really do much to improve upon a classic like mac and cheese, so we didn’t try. Instead, we just skinnied it up a bit in our Crunchy Mac and Cheese by using whole wheat pasta, skim milk, Greek yogurt, and low-fat cheese. We topped it with panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese to give it a nice crunch and an interesting texture.
We’re sure your family will love this recipe, so be sure to make enough for seconds! Serve with our Skinny Chicken Nuggets for a well-balanced meal you can feel good about feeding your kiddos!
Yields: 12 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup side | Calories: 274 | Total Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 265mg | Carbohydrates: 34g | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 2g | Protein: 14g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta (such as macaroni, rotini, or penne)
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 cups low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup low fat shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a 9x13 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and cool.
- In medium sauce pot, bring milk and salt to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium. Whisk in cheddar cheese until melted. Once melted, whisk in yogurt until smooth. If mixture is too thin, combine 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water and whisk into hot sauce until thick. Once desired consistency is reached, add cooked pasta and toss until combined. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- In small bowl, combine panko, oil, and Parmesan. Mix will and sprinkle on top of pasta. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until light brown on top. Allow to rest before serving, sprinkle with parsley.
What’s your favorite twist on traditional mac? Tell us in the comments!