We're sure your family will love this recipe, so be sure to make enough for seconds!
You can’t really do much to improve upon a classic like mac and cheese, so we didn’t try. Instead, we just skinnied it up a bit in our Crunchy Mac and Cheese by using whole wheat pasta, skim milk, Greek yogurt, and low-fat cheese. We topped it with panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese to give it a nice crunch and an interesting texture.
We’re sure your family will love this recipe, so be sure to make enough for seconds! Serve with our Skinny Chicken Nuggets for a well-balanced meal you can feel good about feeding your kiddos!
Crunchy Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound whole-wheat pasta such as macaroni, rotini, or penne
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups cheddar cheese low-fat, shredded
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 1 cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese low-fat, shredded
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a 9x13 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and cool.
- In a medium saucepot, bring milk and salt to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium. Whisk in cheddar cheese until melted. Once melted, whisk in yogurt until smooth. If the mixture is too thin, combine 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water and whisk into hot sauce until thick. Once desired consistency is reached, add cooked pasta and toss until combined. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine panko, oil, and Parmesan. Mix well and sprinkle on top of pasta. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until it's light brown on top. Allow to rest before serving, sprinkle with parsley.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What’s your favorite twist on traditional mac? Tell us in the comments!