A guaranteed morning delight!
Not sure what to make for your next brunch? Try our amazing recipe for eggs lorraine, a simple and elegant classic. Whether you’re cooking for friends, family, or a special someone, this dish for two will not disappoint! In addition to its satisfying flavor, this low-carb, high-protein meal is an excellent alternative to high-calorie breakfast options. It’s a must try recipe if you’re trying to eat healthier.
What Even is Eggs Lorraine?
Eggs Lorraine is a traditional English dish that includes baked eggs over top of cheese and meat (usually ham, sausage, or bacon) with cream drizzled on top. Historically, this dish was strictly only to be served as an hors d’oeuvres at lunch– however, now that we don’t live in a time that involves extravagant meals (all the time, atleast), we’ve shifted this classic into an excellent breakfast, brunch, or even simple lunch meal. Although it is usually made with sausage, we’ve stuck with the basics while adding a healthy twist of added veggies and Canadian Bacon.
We used Canadian bacon in this recipe because it’s an easier shape to work with and is lower in saturated fat, compared to regular bacon or sausage. Canadian bacon is a leaner cut of pork, taken from the pork loin, or back of the pig. It’s actually called Canadian bacon because it originates from Toronto. It’s got more of a ham-like flavor than bacon, but we think it’s perfect for this dish! That said, you can definitely swap it out if you already have something else on hand or just prefer a different taste. In this case, use sliced ham, bacon, turkey bacon, or even breakfast sausage. The choice is yours!
An Impressive and Elegant Breakfast
Create this delicate and impressive baked egg dish the next time you have a guest stay over. It will be a guaranteed delight in the morning! Ideally, you’ll serve this dish with grainy toasted bread (my favorite is sourdough), so that you can dip it into the yolk. You can also split each serving up into separate ramekins so that everyone gets their own dish. You’ll just need to watch the baking time and make sure the egg doesn’t catch on the bottom.
Bake this Tempting Eggy Recipe
Start by steaming spinach and zucchini in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, or until softened. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350° Farenheit and grease a shallow 6-inch baking dish with olive oil. Lay the Canadian bacon evenly across the dish, spread the steamed vegetables over the bacon, and then sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Crack the eggs over the cheese, making sure to not puncture the yolk while creating an egg white layer over the top. Whisk the sour cream, salt, and pepper together, then drop small dollops over the eggs to surround the yolks. Leave uncovered and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the whites look milky. The yolks should be shiny and runny. Top with scallions and enjoy!
Need a heartier breakfast? Keep it European and add a bit of sweetness to your morning meal by making our Dairy-Free Crepes, too.
Easy Eggs Lorraine
- 1/2 cup spinach chopped
- 1/2 cup zucchini sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil for greasing
- 4 slices Canadian bacon
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- Dash salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons scallions chopped
- Steam the spinach and zucchini in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until softened.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a shallow 6-inch baking dish with olive oil.
- Lay Canadian bacon evenly across the dish, spread steamed vegetables over bacon, and then sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Crack the eggs over the cheese, making sure to not puncture the yolk, creating an egg white layer over top.
- Whisk sour cream, salt, and pepper together, then drop small dollops over eggs to surround the yolks.
- Leave uncovered and bake for about 30 minutes, or until eggs are set and the white looks milky. The yolks should still be shiny and run when punctured.
- Top with scallions and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Did this classic breakfast recipe hit the spot? Let us know in the comments below!
If you enjoyed this eggs lorraine, we think you might also like to try:
- Spinach Parmesan Baked Eggs Recipe
- Egg White Mini Breakfast Bites
- Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
- Skinny Spinach and Feta Baked Egg
- Quick and Easy Egg Muffins