Wake up to a wonderful aroma wafting from the kitchen. This Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole has everything you crave: Potatoes, salsa, spring onions, cheese, and green chili for a spicy edge. This filling breakfast doubles as a great brunch, especially if you’re expecting company. Prepare the casserole the night before so you can wake up to this awesomely delicious breakfast.
When cooked well (not fried or loaded with cheese and bacon), potatoes are extremely healthy. They’re rich in fibers, Vitamin B6, potassium, and a load of other nutrients. Potatoes help protect against cardiovascular disease and cancer, too!
The egg is one of the healthiest foods in existence. Eggs contain selenium, folate, protein, choline, Vitamins B2, B12, B5, A, and many other vitamins and minerals that are essential to our health.
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 198 |Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Sodium: 522 mg | Cholesterol: 244 mg | Carbohydrates: 14 g | Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 13 g | SmartPoints: 6
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup salsa, no sugar added
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (part-skim) mozzarella, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- (A smaller baking dish was placed inside the slow cooker for this serving size).
- Rub olive oil on all sides of the slow cooker. You may also use an oil spray. Distribute the potatoes, onions, jalapeno, and salsa inside the slow cooker.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the eggs. Add the mozzarella, salt, and pepper. Pour this mixture into the slow cooker, being sure to cover the potatoes.
- Set the slow cooker on low for 4 hours, or until potatoes are tender and the eggs set.
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss out anything on SkinnyMs.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.