Everyone loves mac and cheese, but it isn’t the healthiest dish. Mac and cheese, especially when made from a package, is high in fat and calories, but low in nutrients. We’ve upgraded the classic pasta dish to make it healthier. Our version uses whole-wheat pasta, which is a great source of fiber. We also use low-fat cheese, which cuts down on the calorie count. Even though our version is clean, it’s just as tasty as your go-to mac and cheese. It’s just as easy, too! It’s a true one skillet mac and cheese, which makes cooking and cleaning up a breeze. What’s not to love?
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup | Calories: 359 | Total Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 448mg | Carbohydrates: 36g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Protein: 20g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 12
- 3 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup low-fat part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fat-free cream cheese
- Add the milk and macaroni to a large sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Boil until macaroni is tender, about 6 to 8 minutes, again stirring often to prevent the milk from scorching.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in remaining ingredients until thick and creamy. Serve and enjoy!
Sign up for our newsletter for even more family-friendly recipes.