It’s Sunday morning and everyone’s clamoring for food. They want something that hasn’t been done a million times before; a fried egg dish with some pizzazz. Fear not! SkinnyMs. has the answer. Instead of boring old eggs and toast, whip out your trusty Fried Eggs with Mushrooms & Brussels Sprouts recipe and your Sunday morning brunch will never be boring again.
This fried egg dish boasts four full cups of halved brussels sprouts. The party only gets more scrumptious with an entire pint of baby bella mushrooms. Garlic, onion, and toasted walnuts combine forces to create an unbeatable flavor sensation. So next time Sunday brunch rolls around and you’re in charge of the fried egg dish, relax. You’ve got it covered.
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 189 | Total Fat: 13 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Sodium: 241 mg | Cholesterol: 186 mg | Carbohydrates: 10 g | Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 10 g | SmartPoints: 6
- 4 large eggs
- 4 cups brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pint baby bella mushrooms, smaller ones halved and larger ones quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable stock or water
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 sprig of thyme for garnish (optional)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, add olive oil, onions, and brussels sprouts and cook for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Cook for 12 more minutes, stirring frequently. Add the minced garlic, cook for 30 seconds longer. Add the stock. Cook for 3 minutes or until the stock has evaporated.
- Form 4 spaces between the vegetables. Add eggs to each space. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until the eggs are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, toast the walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat on another burner for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir frequently, until golden and fragrant. Remove from pan and allow to cool. Once cool enough to handle then coarsely chop.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle on walnuts and parmesan. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
Stay informed about new recipes, workouts, and other healthy lifestyle topics by subscribing to our newsletter. Join our fun and thriving community on our Facebook page and check out our Pinterest, too!
Have some feedback for us? Let us know what you think of this post in the comments section below. Don’t forget to let us know what you’d like to read about in the future!