A simple, total-body routine that will sculpt and strengthen your muscles!
Walking, running, biking, and swimming are all great activities for improving cardiovascular health and boosting fat loss. These high-intensity, heart-healthy exercises are crucial for living your healthiest life. That said, resistance training is also an essential element of any well-developed workout regimen. This easy dumbbell routine will make a great addition to your fitness plan, helping you to tone-up and build strength!
The Benefits of Weight Training
Weight training is about more than just looking good (although that’s a huge part of it!). Performing a strength training routine a few times a week has innumerable benefits. It can improve your posture, reduce your risk of injury from everyday movements, help you get better sleep, strengthen your bones and joints, and even boost your metabolism!
Pair Your Fitness Plan with a Healthy Diet, for Best Results
Exercise is only part of the equation: A healthy diet is the other half. You must combine both elements if you want to live the healthiest lifestyle possible! So, where do you start?
We have plenty of delicious, nutritious recipes and meal plans to choose from. There’s literally something for everyone! Check out:
- Eat Several Times Per Day with these 30 Meals Under 300 Calories
- The 7-Day Mix and Match Meal Plan for Long-Term Weight Loss Success
- Our 50 Most Popular Weight Loss Recipes
- The Best Clean Eating Meal Plans of the Year
Give Your Muscles a Makeover with this Easy Dumbbell Routine
This total-body routine should take less than 30 minutes and targets every major muscle group twice. It’s always good to have a variety of dumbbells to choose from (light, medium, and heavy). If you only have access to one pair, go with a medium weight. Other than that, you’ll need a timer, a soft surface to lay on (like a towel or yoga mat), and a bench, step, or sturdy coffee table.
Perform three sets of ten reps for each exercise, going back and forth between the two moves for each body part. When you’ve completed all three sets of the two exercises for one body part, move to the next. Rest for 30 seconds after completing the sets for each body part.
For example, perform 10 bicep curls and then 10 triceps kick-backs, and repeat the exercises three times. Once you’ve performed 30 reps of each exercise, rest for 30 seconds and then move onto the back exercises.
For best results, complete this easy dumbbell routine three times per week. Be sure to watch the instructional videos below to ensure you’re using proper form!
- Bicep Curls
- Triceps Kick-Backs
- Overhead Shoulder Press
- Front to Lateral Raise
- Bent Over Rows
- Deadlifts (great for your lower back!)
- Flat Press
- Pec Fly
- Twists (holding one dumbbell, goblet-style)
- Toe Touch Crunches (holding one dumbbell, horizontally)
- Weighted Glute Bridges (one dumbbell resting on hips)
- Weighted Glute Kick-Backs (10 reps per leg)
- Alternating Walking Lunges (holding dumbbells down at your side)
- Goblet Squats (holding one dumbbell, goblet-style, at chest height)
Overhead Shoulder Press
Front to Lateral Raise
Bent Over Rows
Toe Touch Crunches
Weighted Glute Bridges
Weighted Glute Kick-Backs
Alternating Walking Lunges
Did you like the way this easy dumbbell routine made you feel? If so, we think you’ll also want to try these awesome weight training routines:
- Push & Pull Dumbbell Circuit Workout
- Fast & Easy Full Body Dumbbell Workout
- 7-Day Intro to Weight Training Fitness Plan
In need of some cardio workouts to boost fat loss? We’ve got you! Try any of these routines:
- 15-Minute No-Equipment HIIT Workout
- 30-Day Walk off The Pounds Challenge
- The Ultimate Fat-Blasting Cardio Workout Plan
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. You can also subscribe to our daily eNewsletter to get the latest and greatest fitness routines, recipes, and more, delivered directly to your inbox.