There is only one word for this sandwich; YUM!
Once again we’ve invited Leslie from Dishing With Leslie to share one of her delicious recipes with Skinny Ms. We love this recipe for her Greek pita sandwich and think you will as well.
“I have made this a few times over the past month. I first started by trying to add the tomatoes and olives to the skillet. But have found that it turns out better and tastes better by adding them at the end. So good! My husband LOVES this sandwich!” -Leslie
Sandwiches are a great option for lunch because they are convenient and easy to prepare. Unfortunately, sandwiches can get unhealthy quickly, especially if you overdo it with condiments or you choose the wrong type of bread. Sandwiches are a lunch favorite, but they tend to be dry and bland if you do not use condiments – unless you know how to pick the best sandwich ingredients.
This Greek pita sandwich recipe is bright and flavorful. It is loaded with healthy ingredients, but there is no shortage of taste, either. When you mix together bold tastes, such as feta cheese, onion, and olives, there is bound to be a flavor overload.
If you are looking for a healthy, big-on-flavor sandwich, this is it. Sandwich fans rejoice! We have plenty of options for you and your lunchbox. Check out our veggie pesto sandwich or our roasted pear sandwich with baby spinach.
Greek Pita Sandwich
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half and sliced in to 1 inch thick strips
- 1 sweet onion medium, halved and then quartered then sliced into strips
- 1 tablespoon Greek seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 whole wheat pitas large, cut in half and cut into a pocket
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves torn
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives pitted and sliced in half, or substitute black olives
- 1/2 cup feta cheese low-fat
- In a large, non-stick skillet, saute onions in 1 tablespoon olive oil. When onions are soft, add in chicken strips. Cook on medium heat for about 5-10 minutes or until no longer pink. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and add in Greek seasoning. Stir well, cover and let simmer for ten more minutes, stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn.
- Prepare sandwiches: Cut pita in half, and stuff with a small amount of torn lettuce. Using a slotted spoon, spoon chicken and onion mixture into pita pocket. Top with tomatoes, olives, and Feta cheese.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.