There are a million chicken dishes out there, as well as many variations of tacos. Here, regular tacos are elevated in this chicken with avocado tacos recipe that uses tender, spiced, grilled chicken, heart healthy avocados, and a creamy cilantro lime topping that compliments the southwest flavor of this dish. It’s an easy recipe that works well for entertaining or a fast and fresh weeknight meal. If you follow a gluten-free diet, use corn tortillas, but flour tortillas work too. You can customize this recipe by adding your favorite salsa, or use the toppings and tangy sour cream topping as a salad dressing. If you’ve been looking for some new chicken recipes, you won’t regret trying this one.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 2 tacos |Calories: 528| Total Fat: 30 g | Saturated Fat: 8 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 114 mg | Sodium: 146 mg | Carbohydrates: 28 g | Dietary Fiber: 7 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 38 g | SmartPoints: 15
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Juice of 2 limes, divided
- 2 8 ounce chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 ripe tomato, diced
- 8 corn tortillas
- Your favorite salsa, optional
- Combine the olive oil, chili powder and half the lime juice in a small bowl. Season with a pinch of salt and pour over the chicken breasts. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to high heat. Grill the chicken until cooked through, about 10 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, allow to rest for 5 minutes, and thinly slice.
- Stovetop method: Alternatively, you can pan sear the chicken if you’d rather cook in the kitchen. Simply marinate the chicken in the first step. When you’re ready to cook, heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil to the pan and sear the chicken on both sides until it is browned on both sides and cooked through. Allow to rest, and slice.
- In a small bowl combine the sour cream, cilantro, ground cumin, and the rest of the lime juice. Stir until creamy and smooth.
- When ready to serve, heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and heat the tortillas one at a time, about 10 seconds per side.
- Serve the tacos with the chicken, avocado, tomatoes, and crema. Top with your favorite salsa if desired.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite dish from SkinnyMs.? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.