This recipe takes a traditional cultural dish to a whole new level! Popular in Mexico, Huevos Rancheros is a breakfast meal comprised of eggs, salsa, and corn tortillas. This dish ditches tortillas, slashing a bunch of calories and carbs from the dish. If you like a breakfast that offers a bunch of different tastes and textures, then this one’s for you!
Wholesome superfoods like avocado, cilantro, eggs, and black beans team up with crumbled queso fresco and clean eating salsa. This medley of bold, mouthwatering flavors tastes incredible. Packed with fresh veggies and satisfying protein, our recipe channels all the authentic Mexican flavors you love without compromising its nutritional profile.
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 376 | Total Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 197mg | Sodium: 1091mg | Carbohydrates: 30g | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 5g | Protein: 18g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 12
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and chopped into large pieces
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- In a skillet, add black beans, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Create 4 spaces between beans. Add remaining 1/2 olive oil to each space. Crack an egg into each space, lower heat, and allow to cook for about 5 minutes, or until egg whites are set and yolks are desired level of doneness. Remove from heat and sprinkle eggs with remaining salt and pepper.
- Add cheese crumbles, avocado pieces, tomatoes, and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve with salsa, if desired.
Love the recipe? Join in the conversation! Leave a comment below about this article or anything else on the site.