Enjoy this yummy twist on a traditional dish.
When you think of meatballs, the term “clean eating” might not come to mind. Most meatball recipes scare off healthy eaters with fat-laden, cholesterol-loaded nutritional profiles. Here at Skinny Ms., we’re revealing a clean meatball recipe certain to make your mouth water and taste buds sing. This Indian Style Meatball Curry puts an ethnic twist on traditional meatball dishes. The use of savory garnishes like red curry powder and cilantro gives the dish an Indian-inspired kick. The protein-packed balls of deliciousness call for lean turkey or chicken, shaving off a boatload of calories compared to conventional recipes. The curry calls for nothing but clean ingredients. This meatball curry is a flavorful dish your family will love and your body will thank you for.
Indian Style Meatball Curry
- 1 pound lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1 cup breadcrumbs panko or whole-wheat breadcrumbs will work
- 2 eggs large
- 1/2 cup cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste canned or homemade
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cup onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 tablespoons red curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt divided
- 14 1/2 ounces diced fire-roasted tomatoes can, including the juice (BPA-free can)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce or puree (from BPA-free can or carton)
- Combine all of the ingredients for the meatballs, first stirring and then with hands to fully incorporate.
- Form into about 12 - 16 balls.
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a pan over medium-high heat. Add half the meatballs, working in 2 or 3 batches. Cook meatballs for 4 to 5 minutes per side, for a total of 10 minutes, browning and cooking all the way through. Remove cooked meatballs from the pan and set aside.
- Add about 2- 3 tablespoons of the tomato juice (from the diced tomatoes) to the pan to deglaze it, scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon. When the liquid has mostly evaporated, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and onions. Cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat, until the onions are softened and translucent. Add the curry powder and about 2 tablespoons water to form a paste, cooking for about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 20 seconds, until golden and fragrant. Add the can of diced fire-roasted tomatoes with their juice, tomato sauce or puree, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir well. Return the meatballs to the pan and simmer over medium-low heat for approximately 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley to serve, if desired.
- Serve meatballs with sauce over, or on the side, of brown rice or quinoa or tossed with soba noodles.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What would you like to see on Skinny Ms.? Let us know in the comment section below.