A savory and sweet entree that pairs well with a wide variety of side dishes.
This time of year, I start thinking about the end of summer and start anticipating fall. One of the classic flavor combinations that comes to mind is apples and cinnamon. What’s the easiest way to celebrate those flavors? Apple Cinnamon Chicken, of course! What you may not know is that sweet onions pair beautifully with this combination. Add in the Instant Pot to make things simple, and these flavors come together in a one-pot meal to make autumn magic.
Inspired by a Traditional Moroccan Pastry, Only Healthier
I was inspired to make this fall Instant Pot recipe when I first tasted B’stilla several years ago. This Moroccan specialty is made with cinnamon, almonds, and shredded pigeon or chicken. The filling is stuffed inside a phyllo pastry dough, brushed with butter, and baked to crispy, golden deliciousness.
Now, I love buttery dough as much as the next person, but I’m also well aware that it’s not very healthy. I can’t make this a regular part of my diet, so I revised the dish to eliminate the butter and pastry elements.
Apple Cinnamon Chicken, Served Three Ways
Once you’ve created this Instant Pot entree, you probably want to know the best way to serve it. Here are three serving suggestions to turn shredded chicken into a complete meal.
For one, you can serve the shredded chicken on top of steamed rice or cauliflower rice. Garnish the dish with toasted almonds, sprinkle it with extra cinnamon, and add some freshly chopped parsley. Simple, elegant, and delicious.
Another way to serve this chicken is with roasted Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes. Combine the roasted veggies with your Instant Pot shredded chicken and you’ll create a unique, flavorful hash.
The third serving suggestion is definitely my favorite. Serve the filling inside whole grain or gluten-free tortillas that have been heated on the stovetop or in the oven. Add chopped cilantro and drizzle the chicken with fat-free Greek yogurt or sour cream.
Now that you’ve mastered this Moroccan-inspired meal, I have one question. What time is dinner?
Instant Pot Apple Cinnamon Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion sliced thin
- 2 apples cored and sliced thin
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Set Instant Pot to saute. When it's preheated, add the olive oil and chicken. Brown the chicken on all sides. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside. Add the onions and apples to pot and saute for 1 minute. Turn the Instant Pot off and place the chicken, spices, salt, pepper, and chicken broth in pot.
- Set the Instant Pot to manual, high pressure, and cook for 22 minutes. When timer sounds, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then finish with the quick release method. Shred the chicken with two forks and serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Want more recipes like this sent directly to your inbox? First, subscribe to our newsletter. Then, follow us on Instagram and Pinterest to not only get fantastic healthy recipes, but also to receive exercise tips, meal plans, and much more!