Running out ways to use your Instant Pot? Need new and fun recipes? You’ll love adding this one to your collection. This take on a beloved dish uses a lighter, leaner protein while serving those traditional pot roast feel. In each step of this recipe, you will introduce new flavors to the chicken and allow them to marinate to get an evenly roasted, savory chicken. Since the ingredients are fresh, the chicken absorbs a natural, wholesome flavor. First, delicious herbs, then vegetables, and finally white wine come together beautifully. After letting it sit inside for about 30 minutes, you are all set! Give this recipe a try for your next family gathering and you will have everyone at the dining table raving over it!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 4 ounces of chicken and 2 ounces of carrots | Calories: 418 | Total Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 115mg | Sodium: 487mg | Carbohydrates: 15g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Protein: 41g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 lbs)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 springs fresh sage
- 3 large springs fresh thyme
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 7 small to medium sized carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced large
- 3/4 cup dry white wine or low sodium chicken stock
- Rinse the whole chicken in cool water and pat dry. Sprinkle salt and pepper on to the chicken, covering all sides.
- Plug in the Instant Pot and press the saute button. Using the adjust button, program the saute setting to medium. Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot, once hot sear the whole chicken on each side until golden brown, remove from the Instant Pot.
- Juice the lemon and set aside the juice. Stuff the chicken cavity with the lemon peels, rosemary, sage, and thyme. Set aside.
- If needed, add more olive oil to the Instant Pot. Add the garlic, carrots, and onion and saute until vegetables begin to brown. Pour in the lemon juice and white wine. Stir and scrape the bottom of the pot to release any pieces on the bottom of the Instant Pot. These bits have the most flavor!
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and ensure the vent is closed and lid is sealed. Press the cancel button followed by the poultry button. Using the adjust button, change the pressure to high and use the plus (+) button to increase the timer to 30 minutes.
- When the timer is finished, the Instant Pot will beep. Carefully vent the Instant Pot to release steam. The steam will be very hot! Be sure you hand is not over the actual vent. Once the steam has finished venting remove lid. Check to be sure the chicken has reached 165 degrees. Let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes before carving. Serve with the carrots on the side.
Also, be sure to try Instant Pot Corned Beef Brisket.