An Instant Pot twist on a Southern favorite
Sometimes you want a comforting, homey meal without the hassle. That’s where your Instant Pot comes in! An Instant Pot makes cooking easy, and it’s faster than using a slow cooker. Instant Pot Shrimp and Grits come together in no time at all, but your family will think you’ve been toiling over the stove all day long. Plus, they’re healthy! Shrimp are high in protein, and we’ve used low-fat cheddar to cut down on the calorie count. You can feel good about eating this delicious dish.
Instant Pot Shrimp and Grits
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound shrimp medium-sized, thawed, shells removed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes more if desired
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter unsalted
- 1/2 cup quick grits
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese low-fat, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cilantro fresh, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Press the "Saute" button on the Instant Pot. Adjust temperature to medium using the "Adjust" button. Add the olive oil and once hot add the shrimp, salt, and red pepper. Cook the shrimp, stirring often, until pink and firm. Remove from the pot and set aside and keep hot.
- Add the broth and butter, bring to a simmer and scrape up and bits on the bottom of the Instant Pot. Stir in the grits. Press the "Manual" button followed but the "Adjust" button to set the pressure to High. Set the timer for 7 minutes and place the lid on the pot, making sure the vent is sealed. The Instant Pot will preheat before starting the cooking time. Once cooked, wait for 5 minutes before venting and removing lid.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese until well incorporated. Spoon into serving bowls, top with cooked shrimp. Sprinkle with cilantro and paprika. Serve and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms