Make this delicious, low-calorie side dish!
Southern style green beans have never tasted so good, and with this recipe, they’re healthier than ever! Here, tender, delicious green beans are flavored with sautéed onion, garlic, and a host of other bold spices. Traditionally, this southern comfort dish tastes incredible but carries a not-so-desirable nutritional profile (thanks to ingredients like butter and bacon.) Luckily for you, our guilt-free version ditches the high-calorie ingredients and incorporates nutritious alternatives, without skimping on taste!
Our Southern Style Green Beans Sub in Healthy Alternatives
Replacing that fatty ham hock with garden-fresh herbs turns this high calorie dish into a nourishing side that everyone will enjoy. At the same time, instead of butter, our recipe calls for extra virgin olive oil and vegetable broth. In the south, people like to cook their veggies all day long so that they’re nice and tender. This recipe does just that, but you don’t have to keep a constant eye on the dish! After prepping your southern style green beans, simply let your slow cooker work its magic and take over. 8 hours of simmering later, and your beans will taste like the old south!
Delicious and Waistline-Friendly
Clocking in at just 37 calories per serving, these scrumptious green beans will satisfy your appetite without wrecking your diet! Compared to traditional recipes, this skinny version shaves off a boatload of fat and calories without skimping on taste. Our family-friendly, southern-inspired dish makes eating your veggies easier than ever!
Slow Cooker Southern Style Green Beans
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon basil freshly chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds snap green beans fresh or frozen, rinsed and strings removed
- 1 potato medium, peeled and diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth, low-sodium, fat-free
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- In a medium skillet saute onion and garlic on medium-low heat until tender, about 4 minutes. Add sauteed onion and garlic along with all other ingredients to the slow cooker. Recommend 5-7 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 8 hours. Cooking time may vary depending on how tender you like your green beans. Southern-style green beans are typically cooked until they are falling apart.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Do you love using your slow cooker? If so, we’ve hooked you up with a bunch of delectable, healthy slow cooker dishes on our site. Make sure to check out our foolproof list of the Top 20 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes or these impressively delicious Top 5 Slow Cooker Breakfast Recipes!
Need some added tips and tricks? Sharpen your skills by following these 12 Rules of Slow Cooking and channel your inner top chef!
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Have you tried our Southern Style Green Beans? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.