Southern Style Green Beans have never tasted so good, and with this SkinnyMs. Recipe, they’re healthier than ever! Replacing that fatty ham hock with garden-fresh herbs turned this high calorie dish into a nourishing plate that everyone will enjoy. In the South, people like to cook their veggies all day long, making them nice and tender. This recipe does just that! Eight hours of simmering and your beans will taste like the old South!
If you love using the slow cooker, SkinnyMs. has loads of healthy slow cooker dishes. Be sure to try the Top 20 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes on SkinnyMs. Follow these 12 Rules of Slow Cooking and make these Top 5 Slow Cooker Breakfast Recipes.
Minimum Slow Cooker Size: 5 quarts Servings: 16 | Serving Size: ½ Cup | Calories: 37 | Total Fat: 1 gm | Saturated Fats: 0 gm | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 101 mg | Carbohydrates: 6 gm | Dietary Fiber: 2 gm | Sugars: 1 gm | Protein: 2 gm | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 1 |
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen snap green beans, rinsed and strings removed
- 1 medium potato, peeled, diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth), low-sodium, fat-free
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- In a medium skillet saute onion and garlic on medium-low heat until tender, about 4 minutes. Add sauteed onion and garlic along with all other ingredients to the slow cooker. Recommend 5-7 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 8 hours. Cooking time may vary depending on how tender you like your green beans. Southern style green beans are typically cooked until they are falling apart.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Have you tried our Southern Style Green Beans? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.