This Kale and Roasted Yam Salad is far from ordinary. The brightly colored veggie dish calls for unconventional salad foods like sweet potatoes to amp up the flavor. It also uses a bunch of ultra-nutritious superfoods like sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, and avocado. The yams deliver a hint of sweetness and a buttery texture that complements the crunchy kale perfectly. The tangy blend of lemon juice and olive oil form a lovely dressing that will excite your taste buds. This vegetarian-friendly, spruced-up kale salad will be a guaranteed favorite among family and friends!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 2 cups | Calories: 200 | Total Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 52mg | Carbohydrates: 21g | Fiber: 8g | Sugars: 5g | Protein: 6g | SmartPoints: 7
- 1 bunch lacinato (also called Tuscan or dinosaur) kale, cleaned, ribs and stems removed and chopped OR 1 10-ounce package baby kale
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into slices
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice (about half lemon or lime)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup pumpkin or shelled sunflower seeds
- 1 cup (half pint) cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss sweet potatoes in olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Spread on a parchment-lined or nonstick baking sheet.
- Roast for 25 minutes, flipping the pieces halfway through, or until fork tender and browned a bit.
- Add kale, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper to a salad bowl and toss. Sweet potato pieces may be added warm or cool. Sprinkle the salad with sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.
- Gently toss avocado slices in lemon/lime juice, and add on top of the salad. Enjoy with your favorite dressing or simple vinaigrette.
What salad recipes would you like to see next? Let us know! We love hearing from our readers.