Potato salad is a classic barbecue side dish, but it isn’t usually a healthy one. This lemon and garlic sweet potato salad is a new spin on the classic dish. We used sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes because they have more fiber, vitamins, and minerals. We also ditched the mayo and used superfood apple cider vinegar, vitamin C-rich lemon juice, and antioxidant-rich garlic instead. Even though this is a skinny potato salad, it’s still a tasty one! The sweetness of the potatoes and the tartness of the lemon juice complement each other. Make it once, and it will immediately become the new family favorite.
Yields: 10 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup | Calories: 216 | Total Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 264mg | Carbohydrates: 21g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 2g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon pure honey
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2/3 cups olive oil
- 1/4 fresh tarragon, chopped
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and cool completely.
- While the potatoes cool, combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, Dijon, whole grain mustard, honey, and salt in a blender. Blend well, while blending gradually add the olive oil until creamy. Set aside.
- Once cold, dice the potatoes and place in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over top and sprinkle with the tarragon. Gently stir. Allow to set, refrigerated, for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- To speed the cooling of the potatoes, remove them from the hot water and place into a bath of cold water and ice.