Even the most experienced chefs struggle to find creative and versatile recipes that take less than 30 minutes to prepare. These Savory Southwestern Sweet Potato Waffles perfectly combine healthy, creative, and easy. Cooked sweet potatoes are used as a base to make a savory waffle batter full of veggies and spices. Once they achieve that ideal waffle crispiness, a Greek yogurt and avocado topping make this dish irresistible.
Serve these sweet potato waffles for a quick, no-meat dinner on a busy night. They also make a delicious breakfast or brunch dish when you want something besides eggs. If you feel like you need to add some protein, black beans make a great addition!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 waffle | Calories: 385 | Total Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 557mg | Carbohydrates: 43g | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 8g | Protein: 16g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 13
- 2 cups sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup low-fat Mexican blend cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, to serve
- 1 avocado, chopped, to serve
- Steam sweet potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes, until you can easily mash them. Meanwhile, mix together the milk, eggs, and butter. Add the remaining ingredients except the yogurt and avocado.
- Add mashed sweet potatoes, to the mixture and combine. Heat waffle iron and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Pour 1/6 of the batter into iron, and cook for about 5 minutes per waffle.
- Serve with the Greek yogurt and avocado on top!
Other recipes you might like:
What are recipes that you enjoy for breakfast, lunch and dinner? What’s your go-to Sunday brunch? Let us know in the comments section below!