Lose weight faster with this healthy, delicious soup.
Lentils, the nutritional powerhouse of the legume family, are one of the best ingredients in making soup like this Lentil Soup with Cabbage. They’re often available all-year round and they have a unique versatility. They can readily adjust to any kind of flavor that they’re paired with! And, yes, they’re also a very economical choice, too. Needless to say, lentils should have a permanent post in our pantry (especially if you’re following a plant-based diet).
There are numerous recipes that we can associate with lentils, but this Lentil Soup with Cabbage has one of the best nutritional values. It contains ingredients that will help you lose wight faster and it also happens to tastes wonderful, too! This soup recipe is moderately simple with nothing but healthy vegetable ingredients and flavors that remind you of a homey kitchen.
The Power of Lentils
Lentils are an incredibly easy ingredient to work with. Since dry lentils can be sourced any time of the year, a soup like this Lentil Soup with Cabbage is very popular in the colder months in Italy. You’ll find many different kinds of lentil soup, and the recipes vary from the simplest to the ones with more complex tones.
That’s what’s so incredible about lentils. They’re easy to find in dried form, you can store them in the pantry almost indefinitely, and they cook up in a flash. Other beans require soaking overnight (or, that quick-soaking method if you always forget to prepare like I do). Lentils are one of the few legumes that don’t require any soaking at all.
It only takes about 30 minutes for the lentils to soften as they simmer in your flavorful liquid. That also means that your carrots, onions, and celery don’t cook down to a mush. They’ll have more texture and flavor, along with retaining their nutrients well.
Of all the ingredients we could have added to this soup, you may ask why we chose cabbage for our Lentil Soup with Cabbage. This brassica vegetable is in the same family as Brussels sprouts, kale, and broccoli. That makes it part of a superfood family! And, since it has a high water content, cabbage actually helps you to lose weight naturally, too.
As it simmers in this soup, the cabbage will soften and become silken. It provides a good textural contrast to the chewy beans and tender-crisp vegetables. Even though it becomes soft, it doesn’t lose any of its fiber content. That fiber will help you fill up and stay feeling full for hours afterwards! That’s the reason that this soup doesn’t need any meat to feel satisfying.
Pair this soup with a young and smooth red wine with soft tannins and expressive of its fruitiness and floral characteristics. Barbera can go very well, as well as Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Freisa, and Shiraz. No matter how you choose to enjoy it, we know you’ll love this simple (but delicious) Lentil Soup with Cabbage.
Lentil Soup with Cabbage
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 onion medium, finely chopped
- 1 carrot medium, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 5 to 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups cabbage shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Over medium heat, in a large saucepan with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, sautè the garlic and the onion for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery then sautè for another 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils and cabbage and toss with the sautèed ingredients for 3 minutes.
- Add 5 cups of vegetable broth, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Boil, cover, and simmer on low - medium fire for 30 minutes.
- Use the remaining cup of vegetable broth to adjust the amount of liquid desired in the soup.
- When the soup is cooked, serve on bowls then drizzle with the remaining extra virgin olive oil.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms