Although I focus on bigger legs for power, I understand the appeal of wanting to tone down and build lean legs. It’s not a great feeling when your jeans don’t fit the same anymore—they get caught on your calves, and sometimes you have to leave the button open to get some breathing room. Whether you’re looking to slim down or just lose a few inches to find comfort in your favorite pants again, these lower body exercises for lean legs will help you get there.
7 Lower Body Exercises for Lean Legs
This lean legs workout offers a mix of cardio and resistance work. The cardio will help blast body fat and the isolated resistance workouts will target all muscle groups of the leg. You’ll start to shred the excess and only leave room for what matters most.
Beginners should perform each exercise for 30 seconds and rest for 30 seconds. Complete four rounds, resting for one minute in between each round. If you’re intermediate or advanced, perform each exercise for 45 seconds and rest for 20 seconds in between each. Complete four rounds with 30 seconds rest in between each round. If you’re very advanced, reduce the amount of rest between each round.
- Star Jump: These are a fun, full-body exercise to get your heart rate going. Be sure to jump as high as you can.
- Dumbbell Deadlifts: Go for heavy weights on this exercise. They help loosen up your hamstrings to improve flexibility, but they’re also great for reshaping the back of the thigh.
- Jump Rope: Jumping rope doesn’t get enough credit for all of its benefits. Jump as fast and smooth as you can.
- Jumping Lunge: A great exercise to target the entire lower body. Keep your core tight throughout.
- Frog Squats: This exercise keeps everything engaged to help you burn fat and build muscle.
- Dumbbell Sumo Jump Squat: Perfect for inner thigh toning, and weighted resistance just makes it more beneficial. Aim for medium to light weights.
- Side Cross Lunges: Perfect for building your inner and outer thighs.
Dumbbell Sumo Jump Squat
Side Cross Lunges
Once you’ve mastered this lean legs workout, it’s time to challenge your body. Try our 30-Day Total Body Trim Down Home Workout Challenge to reshape your entire figure.