Although Moo Shu Pork is one of my go-to favorites at Asian restaurants, I seldom make it at home. The primary reason for this is because it involves a lot of steps. Luckily, I figured out a way to simplify things significantly with this Moo Shu Chicken Skillet Recipe, all while making it healthier, too!
Moo Shu Chicken Skillet: Inspired by the Original
First of all, if you haven’t tried Moo Shu, you totally should. Traditional Moo Shu Pork is made up of tender shredded pork, sauteed mushrooms, cabbage and scallions. Best of all, it’s wrapped in savory, delicate pancakes, and topped with a sweet-and-savory plum sauce. While this is quite delicious, it’s also not the healthiest item you could order.
How do you transform the original dish into something healthier without sacrificing flavor? Easy! First, saute the mushrooms and shredded cabbage before tossing in tender, shredded chicken. Finish it off with scallions and you have a flavorful start to the dish. Then, scramble a couple of eggs in with the chicken and veggies. Finally, drizzle it all with a sweet, savory, hoisin sauce spiked with a hint of sriracha. Get ready to enjoy!
Magic Made Faster
This scrumptious Asian skillet is the perfect candidate for using pre-cooked chicken. You could purchase a rotisserie chicken from the store, but we have a better idea. It’s healthier and just as fast if you prepare our Slow Cooker Everything Chicken.
While using pre-cooked chicken can save you time, it can also cut down on food waste if you already have leftovers on hand. The end results? You end up with a beautiful cooked, perfectly balanced, restaurant-quality dish. Best of all, you don’t have to make reservations!
Moo Shu Chicken Skillet Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup sliced white mushrooms
- 1/2 cup green onion thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 cups shredded pre-cooked chicken, such as our Slow Cooker Everything Chicken
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos optional tamari
- 2 teaspoons sriracha chili sauce
- Heat skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add olive oil.
- Toss in mushrooms and stir-fry for 5-6 minutes, until browned and liquid from mushrooms has evaporated.
- Add cabbage and scallions, and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in shredded chicken and cook an additional 3-5 minutes, until chicken is heated through.
- Add beaten eggs and scramble until cooked through. Browned pieces of egg are okay.
- Stir in hoisin sauce, coconut aminos, and sriracha sauce.
- Reduce heat and allow sauce to heat through.
Want more recipes like this sent directly to your inbox? First, subscribe to our newsletter. Then, follow us on Instagram and Pinterest to not only get fantastic healthy recipes, but also to receive exercise tips, meal plans and much more!