Nicoise salad is a filling entree salads that has all of the nutrients you need from a complete meal. The protein-rich ingredients include eggs, olives, and tuna, and are tossed with bell peppers, tomatoes, crisp green beans, and lettuce. Here, the classic salad is tossed with a traditional mustard vinaigrette, but you can use a dressing of your choosing.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe or 1-1/2 cups salad | Calories: 249 | Total Fat: 14 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 52 mg | Sodium: 137 mg | Carbohydrates: 19 g | Dietary Fiber: 6 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 14 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 4 baby potatoes, boiled, cooled and and halved or 1 large potato, boiled, cooled and chopped in bite-sized pieces
- 1 hardboiled egg, cooled and quartered
- 12 whole green beans, blanched and cooled
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1 (5-ounce) can albacore tuna fish in water, drained
- 1/4 cup black olives of choice
- 1/2 cup sliced red or yellow bell pepper (about 1/2 of a pepper, stemmed and seeded)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 head Boston Bibb (also called Butter Lettuce) or 1 bunch romaine lettuce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Boil the potatoes by adding them to a pan of salted cold water and bringing to a boil. Allow to boil for about 5 to 10 minutes, depending on size, until tender when pierced with a fork. Remove the potatoes for the water, but continue to boil.
- Add the green beans to the boiling water along with a more salt and allow to cook for 3 to 5 minutes until bright green and just tender but crisp. Drain and rinse in cool water or submerge in ice water to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dijon mustard with the red wine vinegar. Gradually pour the olive oil into the bowl in a steady stream, whisking all the while.
- In a large salad bowl, combine all of the ingredients, besides the eggs and toss gently with the vinaigrette. Top with the quartered eggs.
- Note that potatoes may still be slightly warm or cooled to serve in the salad.