A meal that's way healthier, but just as easy and delicious as Chinese take-out!
What if we told you that you can dig into your favorite Chinese take-out and stay on your diet? Would that make you happy? Well, it’s time to get excited because that’s exactly what we’re telling you! We adore the flavors and textures of classic takeout, but we can’t say the same about the nutrition and number of calories that come along with it. This is why we came up with our own healthier version of this favorite! Allow us to introduce you to our slow cooker take-out beef and broccoli.
Healthier, but Just as Delicious!
There’s something wonderful about coming home to a house that is bursting with the aromas of a home-cooked meal. While the mouthwatering scents are great, what’s even better is that you don’t have to cook dinner when the slow cooker pretty much already does it all for you. Furthermore, you can take pleasure in feeding yourself and your family a yummy and nutritious dinner!
We really wanted to focus on making this dish as healthy as possible, so the first thing we looked at was the beef. Using a lean steak cuts down on fat and calories that just aren’t necessary. We also used low-sodium soy sauce to keep salt intake in check and chose natural sweeteners like coconut sugar or honey. All-in-all, this beef and broccoli recipe comes in at fewer than 350 calories per serving!
Get ready to enjoy all of the amazing tastes of your usual Chinese food spot, without the unhealthy additives!
How to Make this Simple Beef and Broccoli Dinner
In addition to tasting a-m-a-z-i-n-g and being good for you, this take-out alternative is incredibly easy to make! It’s basically a set-it-and-forget-it type meal.
First, whisk together the beef broth, soy sauce, coconut sugar, sesame oil, and garlic inside of the slow cooker. Place the slices of lean round sirloin steak in the liquid and toss to coat. Place the lid on the Crock-Pot and cook on low heat for two to four hours, until the beef is tender and cooked through.
After the beef has cooked, whisk the cornstarch in a small bowl with a quarter-cup of sauce from the slow cooker. Add this back into the Crock-Pot before adding the broccoli. Gently toss the broccoli to combine, cover the slow cooker with the lid, and cook it for another 10 to 15 minutes, until the broccoli is tender and the sauce is thickened.
Ways to Serve Slow Cooker Take-Out Beef and Broccoli
This beef and broccoli recipe is a wonderful meal all on its own. If you need something a little more filling, feel free to serve it over some plain brown rice. Of course, you can also try making any of these tasty, Chinese take-out-inspired sides, too:
Slow Cooker Take Out Beef and Broccoli
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce low-sodium
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar optional honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 pounds lean round sirloin steak sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 head broccoli fresh, cut into bite-sized florets
- Inside the slow cooker, whisk together beef broth, soy sauce, coconut sugar, sesame oil, and garlic.
- Place slices of beef in the liquid and toss to coat.
- Cover with lid and cook on low heat for 2-4 hours, until beef is tender and cooked through.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 1/4 cup sauce from the slow cooker.
- Add the broccoli and gently toss to combine. Cover with the lid and cook 10-15 minutes or until the broccoli is tender (not mushy) and the sauce is thickened.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you enjoyed this slow cooker take-out beef and broccoli, we think you might also want to try these scrumptious, take-out alternative recipes:
- 6-Ingredient Orange Chicken
- One Pan General Tso’s Chicken with Broccoli
- 6-Ingredient Chinese Chicken
- Egg Roll Salad with Asian-Style Dressing