Whenever I feel like I’m in a cooking slump, I always turn to Mediterranean recipes. These recipes are an easy way to mix in new flavors that I don’t always turn to in my day-to-day cooking. Fortunately, new doesn’t have to mean complicated, and this One Pan Mediterranean Chicken Meatballs, Tomatoes, and Chickpeas recipe makes for a quick and simple meal.
I’ve always loved Mediterranean food, but for some reason it tends to fall by the wayside in our house. Whether we’re cooking or choosing a restaurant, Mediterranean just never seems to be the go-to.
Last month when I was home on winter break, I was determined to change that. Starting with a night of takeout, I was determined to make Mediterranean lovers out of my family. After easing in with the takeout, we tried a few different recipes. These chicken meatballs were by far the biggest hit.
A huge benefit of Mediterranean cooking is that a lot of recipes naturally trend toward clean ingredients. This is not to say that all Mediterranean food is universally good for you (especially if you’re going the takeout route). However, it’s definitely easy to find quality, clean and delicious Mediterranean recipes.
As you can tell from the title, this One Pan Mediterranean Chicken Meatballs Tomatoes, and Chickpeas recipe uses fresh and clean ingredients. Really, the name pretty much says it all! With this clean recipe, what you see is what you get.
The chicken meatballs are a simple and clean mixture of ground chicken, egg whites, whole-wheat panko, fat-free feta, parsley, and rosemary. This recipe tosses cherry tomatoes and chick peas in olive oil, garlic, and salt for subtle flavor. Both parts of this recipe bake together for a delicious and easy 30-minute meal.
These chicken meatballs are some of the best I’ve ever tried. But if you ask me, the real star of the show here are the chickpeas. I’ve always been a huge fan of chickpeas, adding them to salads whenever I can. Also known as garbanzo beans, chickpeas are a staple of Mediterranean cooking. Packed with fiber and protein, these legumes boast big health benefits, including:
- Blood sugar management
- Healthy digestion support
- Heart disease and cancer protection
I love chickpeas because they’re a great meatless source of protein that keep me feeling full and satisfied.
This 30 minute recipe is an easy and simple way to embrace Mediterranean fare. Light and fresh, Mediterranean-inspired recipes are a great way to mix up clean cooking. I enjoy these meatballs all on their own, but you can complete the meal with quinoa or brown rice. Serve and enjoy!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 3 meatballs | Calories: 398 | Total Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 106mg | Sodium: 683mg | Carbohydrates: 30g | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 31g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 3
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup fat-free feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the egg white, panko, feta, parsley, rosemary, and ground chicken. Mix well and set aside.
- In a second bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, salt, tomatoes, and chicken peas. Toss well and spread in an even layer on the baking sheet. Roll the chicken mixture into 2 inch balls and place on top of the chickpeas and tomato. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until meatballs are firm and cooked through. If desired, serve with brown rice or quinoa. Serve and enjoy!
More Mediterranean Recipes:
A delicious slow cooker soup, this Mediterranean recipe proves just how satisfying a vegetarian meal can really be.
More of my favorite chickpeas! This recipe makes a great side or a light entree. It’s a fun new way to mix Mediterranean flavor into your go-to rice side.
Another great one pot recipe to make Mediterranean cooking easy. If you like this One Pan Mediterranean Chicken Meatballs, Tomatoes, and Chickpeas recipe, you’ll definitely want to give this one a try.