We love one-pan meals, especially nutritious ones, and this one-pan smoked sausage and rice delivers. Turkey is a great source of lean protein, which is important for maintaining a healthy weight and building muscle. Brown rice is a complex carb that’s high in fiber, which helps regulate your blood sugar and your digestion, and keep you full. Broccoli and red peppers are also nutritional powerhouses–they’re packed with fiber, vitamin C, and potassium. The best part about this superfood one-pan meal, however, is that it’s delicious. Smoked turkey has a wonderful flavor, while garlic and onion add tangy and tasty layers. The whole family will love this dish–it tastes so good that they’ll never guess it’s also good for them.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 269 | Total Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 465mg | Carbohydrates: 30g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Protein: 17g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 1 (14 ounce) smoked low-fat turkey sausage rope, cut in to 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup red onion, sliced thing
- 1 cup red bell pepper, cut thin
- 1 cup broccoli florets, fresh or frozen
- 1 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup no-sugar added tomato sauce
- In large skillet heat olive oil on medium heat. Add smoked sausage slices and cook until smoked sausage is browned. Stir in minced garlic, onion, pepper, and broccoli. Continue to cook just until peppers and onion begin to soften.
- Add the chicken broth and rice, bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. If rice is not tender but no liquid remains, add an additional 1/4 cup of broth.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, serve and enjoy!
- OPTIONAL: top with shredded low fat mozzarella cheese for a creamier option
Turkey is great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Try Turkey Sausage Breakfast Muffins, Turkey, Brie, and Peach Panini, and Turkey Meatball Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms to add more lean protein to your diet!