Smokey and savory, the perfect easy dinner the whole family will love.
We love one-pan meals, especially nutritious ones, and this one-pan smoked sausage and rice delivers. Turkey is a great source of lean protein, which is important for maintaining a healthy weight and building muscle. Brown rice is a complex carb that’s high in fiber, which helps regulate your blood sugar and your digestion, and keep you full. Broccoli and red peppers are also nutritional powerhouses–they’re packed with fiber, vitamin C, and potassium. The best part about this superfood one-pan meal, however, is that it’s delicious. Smoked turkey has a wonderful flavor, while garlic and onion add tangy and tasty layers. The whole family will love this dish–it tastes so good that they’ll never guess it’s also good for them.
One Pan Smoked Sausage and Rice
- 14 ounces smoked low-fat turkey sausage rope cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup red onion sliced thin
- 1 cup red bell pepper cut thin
- 1 cup broccoli florets fresh or frozen
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth low-sodium
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce no sugar added
- In large skillet heat olive oil on medium heat. Add smoked sausage slices and cook until smoked sausage is browned. Stir in minced garlic, onion, pepper, and broccoli. Continue to cook just until peppers and onion begin to soften.
- Add the chicken broth and rice, bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. If rice is not tender but no liquid remains, add an additional 1/4 cup of broth.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, serve and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Turkey is great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Try Turkey Sausage Breakfast Muffins, Turkey, Brie, and Peach Panini, and Turkey Meatball Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms to add more lean protein to your diet!