If you need a way to spice up your mushrooms, we have your back! Meatballs always go quick at dinner parties and barbecues. So why not serve them up with a fun, healthy recipe the whole family will enjoy? Fill up savory mushroom caps with yummy meatballs, and watch them disappear. Turkey is packed with lean protein, which makes it a low-calorie alternative to beef or pork. But the turkey isn’t the only healthy part of this meal. Not only are they rich and flavorful, but portobello mushrooms are also a good source of fiber, potassium, and B vitamins. You’ll even get some healthy fats, thanks to the olive oil. Plus, these beautiful turkey meatball stuffed portobello mushrooms are topped with marinara and mozzarella, making them as delicious as they are healthy.
Take them to a picnic or potluck for any occasion, during any season. You can even add a personal touch by making your own Homemade Marinara Sauce.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 stuffed mushroom | Calories: 243 | Total Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 92mg | Sodium: 398mg | Carbohydrates: 9g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 17g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 2 cups no-sugar added marinara sauce
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, washed and stems removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces fresh low fat mozzarella cheese, sliced into 4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray a casserole dish with non-stick spray. Spread 1 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine turkey, onion, dry basil, dry oregano, salt, garlic, egg, and panko. Mix well and roll into 4 large meatballs.
- Brush mushroom caps with olive oil, place each mushroom stem side up into the casserole dish. Place one meatball in the center of each mushroom cap. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until meatball is cooked through. Pour remaining marinara on top of mushrooms and top with shredded mozzarella. Bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle chopped fresh basil on top, serve, and enjoy!
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site.