Meals that you can whip up in one skillet are our favorites on evenings when we’ve come home from work exhausted, and have just enough energy to make a healthy dinner, but not enough energy to clean up pots and pans afterward! Make sure you stock up on healthy groceries over the weekend or early in the week, and making this one skillet meal will be a no-brainer, even after a day filled with meetings, daycare pick-ups, and even a workout!
This one skillet meal is comprised mainly of healthy, filling, and delicious vegetables. We’ve packed enough superfoods into this skillet to meet a multitude of nutritional needs! Zucchini is a rich source of vitamin C and plentiful phytonutrients that improve eyesight and long-term eye health. Tomatoes contain lycopene, an antioxidant that combats heart disease and a number of types of cancer, including colon, uterine, and prostate cancers. Green beans are also a rich source of antioxidants as well as B vitamins. And carrots and butternut squash contain high levels of vitamin A and carotenoids. All of these veggies provide a hearty amount of dietary fiber.
Cooked with a bit of extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper, the true flavors of these vegetables comes through. This veggie combination is delicious on its own, but it can also be topped with grilled chicken, or added to a bed of brown rice or other whole grains, for a complete meal. Make it your weeknight go-to!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 2 cups | Calories: 191 | Total Fat: 5 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 165 mg | Carbohydrates: 36 g | Dietary Fiber: 7 g | Sugars: 8 g | Protein: 5 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, diced leaving the skin on
- 4 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 big white onion, sliced
- 1-1/4 cups green beans, stem side trimmed off
- 2 big potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 big carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Over medium heat, in a large saucepan with extra virgin olive oil, sautè all the vegetables together for 10 minutes then add 1 cup water.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Remove cover and cook for about 10 minutes more or until all the vegetables are cooked through. Stir once in a while to avoid sticking to the pan. Add more water if necessary during cook time.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on anything SkinnyMs.