Burgers are not known as health food, but this open faced turkey burger recipe is just that. Made with low-fat ground turkey, quick sautéed mushrooms and herbs, it’s a filling meal when served over a bed of spinach and topped with juicy tomatoes. If you’re looking for an easy low-carb meal that is just as satisfying as your favorite burger, look no further!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 burger | Calories: 143 | Total Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol:56 mg | Sodium: 221 mg | Carbohydrates: 2 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 15 g | SmartPoints: 4 |
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 medium tomato, sliced into 6 rounds
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the green onions and mushrooms and cook until soft and brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 additional minute. Turn off heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the turkey in a large bowl and add the mushroom mixture, salt and pepper. Mix until well and form into 6 patties.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Spray lightly with cooking spray and grill the burgers until cooked through, 6-8 minutes per side.
- Top the spinach with burgers, add tomato slices and serve immediately.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.