Pancakes allow us to use our creativity, topping them with whatever makes us happy and keeps us healthy. What a way to start the morning! To enjoy pancakes with strawberries and cream without the guilt, we stripped this recipe of fatty ingredients and replaced them with healthier fare. Enjoy your breakfast and let go of the guilt. Skinny pancakes are yours to savor.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 large pancake plus topping | Calories: 291 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 59 mg | Sodium: 159 mg | Carbohydrates: 45 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 15 g | Protein: 11 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11
- 1 cup flour, we used white whole wheat
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoonsea salt
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, (optional frozen and thawed strawberries)
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, plus 1 tablespoon, low-fat
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh mint leaves for garnish (optional)
- Over medium heat, in a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups of the strawberries, and 1 tablespoon coconut sugar. Cook just until the sugar dissolves and strawberries are heated through. Allow compote to cool while preparing batter.
- In a small bowl, mix the ricotta, 1 tablespoon sugar, and vanilla. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, 1 tablespoon sugar, salt, milk, and egg until smooth. Over medium-low heat, in a small saucepan, lightly oil a griddle or skillet.
- Ladle the batter onto a griddle or skillet and cook both sides of the pancakes until golden.
- Serve the pancakes with the ricotta mixture and strawberry compote on top. Garnish with mint if using.
If you liked these pancakes, then you will definitely love our other breakfasts at SkinnyMs.
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss out anything on SkinnyMs.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.