Shredded potatoes get a punch of flavor from savory grated cheese in this Parmesan hash browns recipe. It comes together easily for a morning breakfast and is healthier and tastier than anything you can buy in the freezer aisle at your grocery store. Don’t skip the step of salting your potatoes; that’s what gives you the crispy browned crust and delicious flavor.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup|Calories: 157| Total Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 5 mg | Sodium: 307 mg | Carbohydrates: 17 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 4 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5
- 2 medium Russet potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Coarsely grate the potatoes on a box grater or in a food processor. Sprinkle with salt, toss lightly, and transfer to a fine mesh strainer over a bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, press as much water out of the potatoes as you can and transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and toss lightly with a fork.
- Heat a large cast iron or stainless steel skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add the olive oil, and then add the potatoes in an even layer. Allow to cook without stirring for several minutes. Using a spatula, check that the bottom is browned. When golden brown, flip and continue cooking until other side is well browned.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.