Penne rigate is a pasta with ridges which capture the flavor of every herb and veggie you add to your recipe. Antioxidant-rich tomatoes and earthy, superfood mushrooms are a perfect pair that combine to produce an authentic Italian recipe that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner. A family favorite, this one will please your loved ones and add a serving of veggies to their day!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe | Calories: 430 | Total Fat: 20 g | Saturated Fat: 6 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 22 mg | Sodium: 250 mg | Carbohydrates: 53 g | Dietary Fiber: 7 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 10 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 14
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into 1/8" rings
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces chanterelle or baby bella (crimini) mushrooms
- 12 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup red wine, optional vegetable broth
- 12 ounces whole-grain or whole wheat penne or ziti
- 1 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Bunch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano or Parmesan cheese, grated
- Over medium-low heat, cook onions in a large skillet with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil until caramelized.
- NOTE: Caramelized onions add loads of flavor to just about any dish, especially pasta. Don't rush it, caramelizing takes time. Typically this process takes about 25 - 30 minutes and should be a rich brown color.
- When the onions are caramelized, add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add mushrooms and cooked for about 5 minutes. Allow most of the liquid to evaporate.
- Turn the heat up to medium. Add the tomatoes then after about 5 minutes, add the red wine or broth. Maintain the medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- In the meantime, while waiting for the sauce to thicken, over high heat, boil a large pot of water for the pasta. When the water boils, add about 1 teaspoon salt then the pasta. Cook the pasta until al dente or according to directions on the package.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain but save a 1/2 cup of the water used in cooking.
- In the saucepan with the sauce, add the cooked pasta, and, pasta water and toss.
- Season with salt and pepper. If needed, add some of the water used for cooking the pasta.
- Add the parsley, drizzle with additional extra-virgin olive oil if desired and sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano before serving.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.