This sandwich is full of chicken and vegetables philly style.
When we decided to recreate this famous Philly sandwich recipe, we had our work cut out for us. There’s a reason so many people love this iconic sandwich! We had to overcome one major problem with the classic version: All that extra fat and calories seemed to be what made it taste good. But, after some experimenting, we came up with a version that’s almost better than the original. This Philly Cheese & Chicken Sandwich is a mouthful for sure. The lean protein from the chicken and loads of sweet peppers and onions give this recipe tons of juicy flavor. It has everything you love in a healthy sandwich!
We make our Philly cheese “steak” with chicken, so you’ll get a protein-packed meal without all of that saturated fat found in red meat. It also features more vegetables than the traditional version, because we love a good excuse to sneak in an extra serving of veggies. Finally, we swapped in reduced-fat cheese, cutting down on the saturated fat even more while still giving you that ooey, gooey cheesy flavor. The result is one of our all-time favorite sandwich recipes.
Philly Cheese & Chicken Sandwich
This delicious sandwich tastes just like the indulgent sub for which the city of Philadelphia is known, but without any of the guilt. As an added bonus, it’s so packed with so many fresh veggies that you’ll get an entire serving in one sitting! It’s also much lower in saturated fat and calories than the original version.
Despite the health improvements, the sandwich is still juicy and delicious. It’s great for a Friday evening meal, and you can even serve it up at parties. It’s a great casual option that is still fresh, healthy, and homemade. No matter what we do, though, we always make plenty of leftovers. This Philly Cheese & Chicken Sandwich is a great option to take for lunch!
In addition to tasting great, this recipe also pairs well with some of our favorite side dishes. You can whip up a vegetable side, like these Easy Garlic Lemon Green Beans or Southwestern Brussels Sprouts. Or, go a more traditional route and serve it with a healthier version of Plant-Based, Old-Fashioned Potato Salad.
No matter how you serve it, this Philly Cheese & Chicken Sandwich is almost guaranteed to satisfy your cravings. All without ruining your weight loss goals! If you’re trying to go low-carb, try serving it on a lettuce wrap by following the instructions on this recipe.
Philly Cheese & Chicken Sandwich
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breast sliced into strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano optional
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 red bell pepper cored, seeded, sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper cored, seeded, sliced into strips
- 1 sweet onion thinly sliced
- 4 slices 2% provolone cheese
- 4 4-inch crusty wheat rolls
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and oregano. In a large skillet add oil, turn to medium-high heat, add chicken and brown on both sides. Add peppers and onions and continue cooking until tender.
- Place open rolls on a cookie sheet, add cooked chicken, peppers and onions, top off with a cheese slice on each roll. Place rolls in oven and heat until cheese is melted.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms.! Be sure to subscribe to our daily enewsletter or follow us on Facebook and Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.