We decided to recreate this famous Philly Cheese sandwich recipe, but without the extra fat and calories. This sandwich is a mouthful for sure, and it’s packed with lean protein and loads of sweet peppers and onions. It has everything you love in a healthy sandwich and is a true recipe keeper! You will also want try this tasty Philly Cheese Sandwich, Vegetarian Style.
Our Philly cheese “steak” is made with chicken, so it is packed with protein, but not the saturated fat found in red meat. It features more vegetables than the traditional version, and using the reduced-fat version of cheese, cuts down on the saturated fat even more.
This delicious sandwich tastes just like the indulgent sub sandwich for which the city of Philadelphia is known, but it is also packed with fresh veggies and is much lower in saturated fat and calories than the original version. Despite the health improvements, the sandwich is still juicy and delicious. It is great for a Friday evening meal or served at parties where you want a casual option that is still fresh and homemade. Our Philly cheese and chicken is a great option to take for lunch.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving size: 1 sandwich | Calories: 381 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 56 mg |Sodium: 329 mg | Carbohydrates: 27 g | Dietary fiber: 6g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 26 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7|
- 2 (1 pound) chicken breast filets, skinless, sliced into strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seed, sliced into strips
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 4 slices 2% Provolone cheese
- 4 - 4" crusty wheat rolls
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and oregano. In a large skillet add oil, turn to medium-high heat, add chicken and brown on both sides. Add peppers and onions and continue cooking until tender.
- Place open rolls on a cookie sheet, add cooked chicken, peppers and onions, top off with a cheese slice on each roll. Place rolls in oven and heat until cheese is melted.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.