Looking for healthy burgers that are savory, juicy, and packed with charred grilled flavor? These portobello mushroom burgers are marinated in an herby balsamic dressing, grilled or cooked on the stovetop, and placed on a whole wheat burger buns. They may quickly become your favorite meatless burger recipe or even your favorite burger, in general. To customize your burger, cover it with a healthy spread or condiment(s) of choice. Some ideas include:
Goat Cheese Yogurt Spread
Creamy Avocado Dip
Healthy Homemade Ketchup
This Grilled Portobello Burger tastes amazing when prepared and served with Crisp Rosemary Fries.
Portobello Burger with Savory Balsamic Marinade
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves fresh or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- black pepper freshly ground
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds portobello mushrooms about 8 cleaned and stems removed (see directions)
- 4 hamburger buns whole-wheat or whole-grain
- 1/2 red onion cut into slices
- 8 iceberg lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato medium ripe, cut into slices
- Spray the grates of the grill with canola oil cooking spray. Then, preheat to medium temperature.
- Clean portabello mushroom caps by wiping with a damp paper towel.
- Whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic, herbs, and salt and pepper in a shallow, wide dish. Add the mushrooms, flipping to coat on both sides. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes and up to 8 hours.
- Place portobello mushrooms on the grill. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Flip, and cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes on the other side. Portobellos should be tender.
- Heat a griddle to 400 degrees or a non-stick skillet to medium-high heat, cook mushrooms approximately 4 minutes per side or until tender and slightly browned.
- Top each bun with the mushroom, followed by the onion, tomato, lettuce and condiments of choice. If you would like to add roasted bell peppers, see the video below.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms… Be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites. Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.