Looking to serve something different to guests with a fancy presentation, but without the fuss? Wrap thin potato slices around asparagus, brown and enjoy. Imagine dinning at a fine French restaurant. That’s exactly how you’ll feel once you bite into these mouthwatering rolls. If using the optional cognac, approximately 85% of the alcohol evaporates while cooking. The remaining percentage gives you the unmistakable flavor of cognac, reserved for after dinner drinks and for very special dishes, too.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 wrap | Calories: 117 | Total Fat: 4 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 96 mg | Carbohydrates: 10 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 2 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4
- 6 asparagus spears, hard ends taken removed
- 1 medium potato, peeled and sliced vertically (slice thinly)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup cognac or broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher or Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Look for potatoes that are longer verses round.
- In a pot of boiling salted water, blanch the asparagus for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, transfer them to a bowl of ice water. When they have reached room temperature, slice them in the middle and set aside.
- Using a mandoline slicer or sharp knife, vertically slice the potato very thinly. Start making the rolls by laying the potato slices on a plate, then 2 pieces of asparagus in the middle of each potato slice. Secure with a toothpick. Cut away the long ends of the toothpicks for easy rolling in the saucepan. It's important to leave a little bit of the toothpicks sticking out so that they will still be visible when being eaten. Repeat process for the remaining ingredients.
- Over medium heat, in a large skillet add the extra-virgin olive oil, sautè the rolls until golden brown on both sides. Pour the cognac or broth over the rolls and let the sauce slightly thicken. Season with salt & pepper. Serve while hot.
If you have a favorite recipe in SkinnyMs., let us know by telling us about it at the comments section.