A protein and fiber-filled omelette that's completely eggless!
When it comes to omelettes, eggs are usually the main ingredient. The key word here is usually. We wanted to create a high-protein option for our vegan readers, so we got a little creative. Our Protein-Packed Vegan Omelette is completely eggless and loaded with a delicious combination of fresh and filling veggies!
The Magic Ingredient for an Eggless Vegan “Omelette”
How do you make an omelette without eggs? You use chickpea flour! Chickpea flour is made from dried chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans. This flour is high in protein, fiber, and nutrients such as folate, iron, magnesium, and zinc. Chickpea flour also happens to be a fantastic natural egg replacement, making it the perfect solution for this vegan omelette!
When preparing this protein-packed recipe, you’ll want to start by mixing the chickpea flour with the other dry ingredients, including the baking powder, ground turmeric, and garlic powder. Once these have been sufficiently mixed together, you’ll gradually add in the apple cider vinegar and water. Continue stirring the mixture until it resembles a smooth batter.
The next thing that you’ll need to do is cut up your vegetables. The red onion, tomato, and bell pepper all need to be chopped into small pieces while the mushrooms will be sliced. In a skillet, heat up some olive oil and add in your veggies. Let them cook until the red onion and bell pepper have softened. You can then remove the veggies from the pan, but don’t put the pan in the sink just yet. You’re going to use it to finish cooking your omelette!
Add in a little more olive oil and return the pan to the heat. Once it’s hot again, slowly pour your batter into the pan and cook for several minutes until you begin to see bubbles and feel that the edges are firm. Flip the omelette over and let the other side cook for a couple of minutes. Get your cooked veggies and carefully layer them onto one side, folding the other half of the omelette over the top of them.
To Share or Not to Share
Keep in mind that this Protein-Packed Vegan Omelette recipe makes two servings. Each serving contains 339 calories, 12 grams of protein, 17 grams of heart-healthy fats, and 7 grams of belly-filling fiber per serving. You can also choose to share the other half, or save it for a stress-free breakfast tomorrow! The choice is yours.
Protein Packed Vegan "Omelette"
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red onion chopped small
- 1 tomato chopped small
- 1 bell pepper any color, chopped small
- 1/4 cup fresh mushrooms sliced and lightly chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the chickpea flour, baking powder, turmeric, and garlic powder together. Gradually add the apple cider vinegar and water to the dry ingredients and stir until smooth and no lumps remain. This should look similar to pancake batter.
- Heat half the olive oil in a skillet. Once hot, add remaining ingredients (the veggies). Cook just until the onion and bell pepper begin to soften. Remove from the pan.
- In the same skillet the veggies were cooked in, heat the remaining oil. Once hot, pour the batter in to the pan. Cook, about 5 to 8 minutes, until bubbles have formed in the batter and the edges are firm.
- Carefully flip the "omelette". Cook for about 2 additional minutes. Place the cooked veggies onto one side and carefully fold the "omelette" in half. Serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you enjoyed this yummy vegan recipe, be sure to follow us on Pinterest for others just like it! You may also be interested in trying: