An indulgent, yet nutritious recipe, with a savory, seasonal kick.
Skinny Ms. has a treat for the die-hard pumpkin fans out there! You’ve had the savory squash in pies and cakes, but you can’t call yourself a true pumpkin enthusiast until you’ve tasted its deliciousness in risotto form. This Pumpkin Risotto recipe is luscious and indulgent with a savory, seasonal kick. It uses nothing but wholesome ingredients that offer a host of nutritional benefits.
White wine and garlic enhance the flavor, while a dash of nutmeg complements the pumpkin beautifully. Despite its irresistible, buttery consistency, pumpkin puree is rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and boasts a low-calorie profile. This recipe truly turns the classic comfort food dish on its head. Your taste buds will swoon over each melt-in-your-mouth bite of this creamy risotto!
- 4 cups chicken broth vegetable broth, or low-sodium
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup pumpkin puree canned
- 1/3 cup parmesan freshly grated, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- Place a pan with broth over medium heat and bring it to a simmer. Allow to continue at a simmer, lowering the heat if necessary.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil to a separate pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened and translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Stir in the dry, uncooked rice until coated. Add the wine, cooking until all of the wine evaporates.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add a ladle full of the simmering stock and stir. Add the nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Once the stock has mostly been absorbed by the rice, add another ladle full and stir. After this is absorbed, repeat until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Add final ladle full of stock.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the pumpkin and the parmesan, if using. Serve. Risotto should be creamy. The rice should be tender with some chew to it.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What would you like to see on Skinny Ms.? We’d love to hear from you!