Turn this classic gastropub food into a healthy, veggie treat!
Don’t we all love a mouthwatering slider? There’s nothing like a big plate of sliders filled with rich, savory fillings when we’re feeling hungry! But because most restaurant sliders are filled with saturated fat, cholesterol, and calories, we tend to stop at just one…and we feel guilty even about that! So, we’ve put together a delicious vegetarian slider recipe that fills us up with ingredients that are clean and wholesome and great for our bodies. But, because this is SkinnyMs., we didn’t skimp on flavor. These vegetarian sliders are loaded with fantastic taste and texture as well as healthy ingredients.
For starters, we’ve ditched the meat for a healthier alternative, quinoa. Quinoa’s grain-like qualities are deceptive. This superfood is actually a seed, and it’s packed with fiber and protein, as well as some valuable nutrients and antioxidants. Forming quinoa into a patty, along with mashed chickpeas, and the rich flavors of Parmesan cheese and oregano, leaves us with a moist, hearty, and tasty slider, that’s complimented perfectly by roasted veggies. We’ve used zucchini and bell pepper, but you can get creative and substitute or add any veggies you like. Prefer classic lettuce and tomato? Maybe you have a craving for eggplant. Load up your slider with veggie topping for a well-rounded and nutritious dish.
Remember t0 use whole grain buns for your sliders, since these are clean eating treats! And feel free to indulge in a second slider. We’ve turned sliders into a healthy dish you can enjoy without the guilt!
Quinoa and Veggie Sliders
- 1/2 cup quinoa uncooked, rinsed
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup chickpeas precooked, rinsed and drained
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole-grain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 onion medium, finely chopped or grated
- 3 tablespoons parsley fresh, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 zucchini large, sliced vertically
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and cored, sliced into strips
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 10 whole-grain slider buns (buns can be made by using a circle cookie cutter to cut out two circles on a regular-sized bun if necessary)
- 10 lettuce leaves
- In a small saucepan, combine the quinoa and water then bring to a boil over high heat. When it boils, turn down the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the water is completely absorbed. Let it cool.
- In a large bowl, add the chickpeas and mash with a fork or potato masher. Add the cooled quinoa, egg, bread crumbs, Parmesan, onion, 2 tablespoons parsley, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Mix well. If it needs to be more compact, add additional bread crumbs.
- Shape 10 mini burger patties, cover then refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- While the burgers are in the refrigerator, grill the vegetables on a griddle. When the vegetables are tender, place them in a medium bowl and mix in 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, the remaining oregano, parsley, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, in a large nonstick skillet or griddle, add with the remaining extra-virgin olive oil, cook the patties until heated through and crisp. Over medium heat, on the same (clean) griddle or skillet where you cooked the vegetables, lightly brown the inside of the buns.
- When all the ingredients are ready, place lettuce on the buns, the burgers, and the grilled vegetables.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
More Delicious Healthy Burgers & Sliders:
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss out anything on Skinny Ms.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.