Do you remember your first taste of a chicken nugget? Did you reach your hand into a bag of drive-thru fast food, and immediately become hooked on these juicy, fried little treats? Or maybe your mom popped a frozen bag of nuggets into the oven, bringing them to your plate, steaming hot. Well, these are not the chicken nuggets of your childhood, but they are chicken nuggets that you and your kids will absolutely love! Try our healthy chicken nuggets recipe, and keep your family nourished. Even the pickiest of eaters will ask for seconds.
Because these chicken nuggets are homemade, you know exactly what kind of meat goes into making them. Fast food and frozen chicken nuggets are a bit of a mystery. A few minutes into a documentary on the fast food industry, and you might be tempted to remain nugget-free for life! But you’re eating clean, which means that you’re choosing the lean, boneless, skinless chicken breasts yourself from the grocery store, and you know your family is getting nutritious, clean eating, lean protein.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 5 chicken nuggets (1/4 of recipe depending on size of nuggets) | Calories: 382 | Total Fat: 13 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 113 mg | Sodium: 355 mg | Carbohydrates: 34 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 0 g | Protein: 31 g | SmartPoints: 9
- 1 pound chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1-1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice the chicken to cubes then sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Prepare 3 bowls for the following: flour, egg and quinoa. Coat the chicken with the flour then shake off the excess. Dip the chicken in the egg then shake off the excess.
- Lastly, coat the chicken with the quinoa then press lightly to make the quinoa stick to the chicken.
- On a baking pan lined with parchment paper, place the chicken nuggets side by side. Drizzle with the olive oil. Bake in the oven between 40 - 45 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite sauce while still hot.
More Healthy Chicken Recipes to Try:
We constantly update SkinnyMs. Subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss anything.
It is always a pleasure to hear from our readers. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.